HSE final lead ammunition consultation launched

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/10/2023 at 20:57, Keith 66 said:

What happens to Muzzleloaders? You cant use steel in an original & surely the number in use compared to modern new fangled breechloaders renders their contribution to pollution insignificant, Will they be exempt?

Bismuth, that's about it, I think.

There used to be some sensible reasoned debates on this forum.

This thread dealing with the most important change to shooting seems to have descended into another BACS bashing exercise and going back into ancient history gripes which are no longer relevant. 

Wake up and evolve, change etc. 

You may not like them but they are our biggest and most influential representative body on this topic. 

Where are the NRA, NSRA, CPSA etc with constructive input?

We need to adapt and move on or become dinosaurs like some of the contributors to this thread. 

Why should small bores, muzzle loaders etc be exempt?

Bismuth or other alternative may cost a bit more but surely better to spend a bit more than give up?

On 20/10/2023 at 19:24, Newbie to this said:

@Conor O'Gormanhow are BASC suggesting we respond to this?

You could state your agreement or disagreement with the revised proposals. Below copy and pasted from BASC website:

Lead airgun pellets

It is positive news that the previous proposal to restrict the outdoor use of lead airgun pellets has been dropped and there are now no restrictions proposed within the current consultation. BASC pushed hard on this issue, submitting two technical reports to evidence our call for the proposals to be removed. 

Lead shot for live quarry and target shooting 

The consultation proposes a ban within five years or less, depending on the consultation outcome.

BASC’s position is that clay pigeon shooting with lead shot could continue where grounds have the correct risk measures in place, and they can ensure lead removal, as per the HSE guidance for target shooting with rifles.

BASC continues to support the voluntary transition away from lead shot and single use plastics in shotgun ammunition for live quarry shooting. As such, we believe that further regulation is not required in this area.

In any case, BASC will be recommending to the HSE that any transition time for cartridges used in live quarry shooting must take into account the world shortage of components due to the war in Ukraine, and the need for manufacturers and assemblers to source new machinery to produce steel cartridges with biodegradable wads.

Rifle ammunition for live quarry shooting 

No restrictions are proposed currently, but this could change depending on consultation outcome. The evidence of secondary poisoning through rifle ammunition is not conclusive and if restrictions were put in place, it would be a precautionary measure.

Rifle ammunition for target shooting

Under the proposals, the use of lead ammunition could continue at approved ranges where mitigation measures for lead removal are in place, with a two-year grace period allowing alternative ranges to adapt. 

How to respond to the consultation

The online survey form that the HSE has provided for consultation responses contains mostly technical and confusing questions. Instead, you can submit your response via the general comments section at the end of the HSE survey response form. If you would like to write more than the word limit of 2,500 characters then you can upload your comments as a Word document.

Click link below to start complete the HSE online response form:

https://consultations.hse.gov.uk/crd-reach/lead-in-ammunition/consultation/

More information here:

https://basc.org.uk/new-consultation-launched-on-lead-ammunition/

Further information here:

https://basc.org.uk/ammunition/

8 hours ago, grahamch said:

This thread dealing with the most important change to shooting seems to have descended into another BACS bashing exercise and going back into ancient history gripes which are no longer relevant. 

You completely overlook - with this comment - and you either ignore or are unaware of Bsac policy to pursue a policy which was unacceptable and detrimental to the majority of its membership for the long term.  You are suggesting that we just ignore the devious and damaging agenda driven by Swift'n Co+ successive appointees ,just swallow the mantra "biggest pro-shooting body"...and just carry on paying annual subs of ~ £80 (x membership numbers of ? ).  Not for me!! Oops ...well, I omit that this outfit has fiddled compulsory membership subscription as part of entry to many wildfowling clubs.

If you disregard the BSers historic duplicity and just carry on payin' ... well?...nothin' will change.

On 22/10/2023 at 22:51, harkom said:

You completely overlook - with this comment - and you either ignore or are unaware of Bsac policy to pursue a policy which was unacceptable and detrimental to the majority of its membership for the long term.  You are suggesting that we just ignore the devious and damaging agenda driven by Swift'n Co+ successive appointees ,just swallow the mantra "biggest pro-shooting body"...and just carry on paying annual subs of ~ £80 (x membership numbers of ? ).  Not for me!! Oops ...well, I omit that this outfit has fiddled compulsory membership subscription as part of entry to many wildfowling clubs.

If you disregard the BSers historic duplicity and just carry on payin' ... well?...nothin' will change.

which was unacceptable and detrimental to the majority of its membership 

Quite a bold statement, I am interested to know how you know this?

Just what damaging agenda do you think is being pushed ?  

Fiddled compulsory membership ?  you are funny, you do not wild fowling clubs have a choice to be members or not?

Edited by Terry2016

@harkom I note that you have not replied to the questions above, yet since these questions were asked of you, in another thread about lead ammunition, you have made further unwarranted comments about BASC.

Perhaps you could focus your spare time and poison pen on the HSE consultation if you have not already done so?

Are there any plans to stop the sale of Lead flashing in the Building Trade? Will HSE be removing Lead from Church roofs ? 

Will the HSE be mining all the extensive Lead deposits  from sites excavated since before Roman times that have left Lead contaminated spoil in our communities? Will the HSE  be removing all Lead piping that still carries our domestic water supplies ?

Just a few questions I would like answered before turning my attention to wiping out the historic British Gun Trade and country sports.

21 minutes ago, Peter Harris said:

Are there any plans to stop the sale of Lead flashing in the Building Trade? Will HSE be removing Lead from Church roofs ? 

Will the HSE be mining all the extensive Lead deposits  from sites excavated since before Roman times that have left Lead contaminated spoil in our communities? Will the HSE  be removing all Lead piping that still carries our domestic water supplies ?

Just a few questions I would like answered before turning my attention to wiping out the historic British Gun Trade and country sports.

:good: I will be using this in my reply to the consultation if you don't mind.

15 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

@harkom I note that you have not replied to the questions above, yet since these questions were asked of you, in another thread about lead ammunition, you have made further unwarranted comments about BASC.

Perhaps you could focus your spare time and poison pen on the HSE consultation if you have not already done so?

What's the point B. A. S. C. have championed it from the start. It ain't going away now. 

On 22/10/2023 at 14:21, grahamch said:

Wake up and evolve, change etc. 

You forgot the other option, give up shooting, which many will do.

On 22/10/2023 at 14:21, grahamch said:

Why should small bores, muzzle loaders etc be exempt?

Bismuth or other alternative may cost a bit more but surely better to spend a bit more than give up?

Why should any lead projectile be exempt if that is your argument, ban all lead shot , bullets ect, then we can see a mass exodus from many shooting sports, as there will be no viable ammunition available, or it will be illegal to use.

On 22/10/2023 at 20:13, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC’s position is that clay pigeon shooting with lead shot could continue where grounds have the correct risk measures in place, and they can ensure lead removal, as per the HSE guidance for target shooting with rifles.

How does one remove lead shot from the average clay ground on a regular basis ?
Many incorporate woodland, water features and cover many acres of ground.
I cant think of a single clay ground Ive ever been to that would allow such a thing.
So please dont make ridiculous and distractive comments like that Conor.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

You forgot the other option, give up shooting, which many will do.

Why should any lead projectile be exempt if that is your argument, ban all lead shot , bullets ect, then we can see a mass exodus from many shooting sports, as there will be no viable ammunition available, or it will be illegal to use.

In fishing when lead was "banned" weights of above 1oz and No 8 shot and below(in size) where not included, nor was any lead in sea fishing banned.

It was, like now, designed for the other option, give up.

Instead the thinking angler used groups of No 8s together. Lead in shot sizes 8 to 12 is still bought/sold and legally used.

I'm waiting for someone who thinks in a different way to tell us the way round the ban. 

8 hours ago, yickdaz said:

There are such things as steel proofed guns just saying 

With the greatest respect ( because it seems like Groundhog Day with this topic ) there is NO difference between a steel shot proofed gun and a nitro proofed gun. 
Can anyone tell me what the difference is from a manufacturing point of view, or what you can do with a steel shot proofed gun that you can’t with a nitro proofed gun?