Electric cars by 2040

fern01

Just wondering what the rich oil producing States will do when all cars and many commercial vehicles are battery powered by 2040

Conversely, what will those countries sitting on lithium resources do in terms of availability and price and what will competing nations do to ensure their share of reserves. Already there are quotes (US Geological Survey) of reserves at best being 365 years and at worst 17 years. Anyway, this is a UK pipe dream. The rest of the world will carry on polluting as normal.

Conversely, what will those countries sitting on lithium resources do in terms of availability and price and what will competing nations do to ensure their share of reserves. Already there are quotes (US Geological Survey) of reserves at best being 365 years and at worst 17 years. Anyway, this is a UK pipe dream. The rest of the world will carry on polluting as normal.

Absolutely correct. The French and others will agree to everything and abide by nothing.

It won't happen, the power need for the U.K. Couldn't be met for charging. I think more hydrogen fuel cell cars and emerging technologies will become more mainstream. Lithium batteries are not and will not be the answer. Nano carbon Super capacitors are what there trying to develop for electric cars.

What are the government going to do without all the tax they make off car fuels now. Solar panels will get a lot more efficient so cars could top up there charge when parked.

The future will be interesting that's for sure when you look at how quick some technologies are advancing.

Typical tories, let's promise something that will happen in 23 years time when we only have a confirmed 5 years to run in office

Yes to that!,Also as my strimmer battery died yesterday( 2 seasons use) & a replacement battery is dearer than a complete new strimmer & battery, how much are replacement batteries for electric cars?

It won't happen, the power need for the U.K. Couldn't be met for charging. I think more hydrogen fuel cell cars and emerging technologies will become more mainstream. Lithium batteries are not and will not be the answer. Nano carbon Super capacitors are what there trying to develop for electric cars.

What are the government going to do without all the tax they make off car fuels now. Solar panels will get a lot more efficient so cars could top up there charge when parked.

The future will be interesting that's for sure when you look at how quick some technologies are advancing.

In 1969 when I started work at Vauxhall in Luton, my father worked in the Experimental Department (part of General Motors, not totally Vauxhall) and he told me then that GM had a hydrogen engine that got it's fuel by splitting water into Hydrogen and Oxygen but "there is no way that engine will go in to production until the last barrel of oil is extracted from the last working well".

Dad has long gone to developing new chariots in the sky but, over the years, I have spoken to several senior people in the global auto industry - and all of whom denied this was feasible. My standard reply was possibly not feasible / commercial now because you don't have to do it, plus how will all governments replace the fuel tax revenues? No answer.

Much more recently (last year?) Buzz Aldrin was on Starwatch /Moonwatch/ Nightwatch (something like that) with Professor Brian Cox and Dara O Briain and was asked "why is it so important to find water on other planets? Is it because it sustains life"?

Aldrin replied "no it's because whilst we can get to several planets, we cannot carry enough fuel there for the return journey. If we have water, we have Hydrogen, we have fuel for the return journey".

Cat out of the bag Buzz.

There's not enough electricity capacity to run the country flat out at present? Plus Hydrogen would use the (adapted) current fuel station infrastructure?

T'is all BS.

Edited by Eyefor

But what about the airplanes that a putting a lot more pollusion in the sky.

And the ships and the plant machinery etc. Even if they do achieve all of this ..... will they build a dome over the U/K to stop other countries pollution reaching us. its all bullshine the Germans have built six new coal burning power stations.

Its a pipe dream. What about all the people who live in flats? or people that can't park outside their houses, even if they can are they going to have wires trailing across the pavement every night?

How could I drive to Scotland? Motorway services are not going to be able to cope with their car parks full with hundreds cars sitting for hours recharging

Electric cars can't tow so caravans, trailers, boats horse boxes etc are out.

What about commercial vehicles? That's a mine field on its own

Even lithium batteries still contain cobalt or cadmium, something the environmentalists conveniently forget to mention. The cost of decommissioning the batteries could be more than they cost new.

Edited by Vince Green

In 1969 when I started work at Vauxhall in Luton, my father worked in the Experimental Department (part of General Motors, not totally Vauxhall) and he told me then that GM had a hydrogen engine that got it's fuel by splitting water into Hydrogen and Oxygen but "there is no way that engine will go in to production until the last barrel of oil is extracted from the last working well".

Dad has long gone to developing new chariots in the sky but, over the years, I have spoken to several senior people in the global auto industry - and all of whom denied this was feasible. My standard reply was possibly not feasible / commercial now because you don't have to do it, plus how will all governments replace the fuel tax revenues? No answer.

Much more recently (last year?) Buzz Aldrin was on Starwatch /Moonwatch/ Nightwatch (something like that) with Professor Brian Cox and Dara O Briain and was asked "why is it so important to find water on other planets? Is it because it sustains life"?

Aldrin replied "no it's because whilst we can get to several planets, we cannot carry enough fuel there for the return journey. If we have water, we have Hydrogen, we have fuel for the return journey".

Cat out of the bag Buzz.

There's not enough electricity capacity to run the country flat out at present? Plus Hydrogen would use the (adapted) current fuel station infrastructure?

T'is all BS.

Your dad was right. Back in the early 60s a company in Birkenhead called ... The metallic Valve Company made a small engine and had it running on Water however they had to start it using a lathe for speed but did have it powered up. So as your dear old dad said it is not only feasible but has happened.

Just wondering what the rich oil producing States will do when all cars and many commercial vehicles are battery powered by 2040

I have often thought if we did not buy all of this oil off mostly dodgy countries it would do a lot to stop all of these terrible wars as they would not have the money to buy the guns and ammunition.

( from us and other so called civilised countries )

Also if it was not for the greed of these people in charge of tin pot countries perhaps they would not have these wars in the first place and we would not see these terrible things daily on our tv sets.

Bring on battery cars as fare as I am concerned it can only be a good thing as long as we do not end up buying more oil to make the electricity.

We will definitely see all modern cars being built in the next 5-10 years being hybrid electric. I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev the other day and it was surprisingly nice to drive. Deadly silent though! We're getting one for the wife because she can get to work and 3/4 of the way home using the battery alone so if she plugged in at work she'd barely have any fuel costs. Politicians will make up any old tripe though. Even if they made it illegal to purchase new cars with internal combustion engines which they can't but imagine they could, they still won't be able to outlaw kit cars, steam engines, tractors, lorries, passenger jet, helicopters, fire engines and so on and so forth. More political ideological rubbish!

40,000 people a year are killed by car smoke, FACT!

I know its true it was on the BBC the other night.

Thats why we need to ban diesel and petrol cars by err..2040.

The French are doing it ,so we will too !

All those lives saved, and our (very important) environmental responsibilities met ,that the EU set for us.

Thank goodness we have leaders in this country and abroad who can save us from ourselves.

We will definitely see all modern cars being built in the next 5-10 years being hybrid electric. I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev the other day and it was surprisingly nice to drive. Deadly silent though! We're getting one for the wife because she can get to work and 3/4 of the way home using the battery alone so if she plugged in at work she'd barely have any fuel costs. Politicians will make up any old tripe though. Even if they made it illegal to purchase new cars with internal combustion engines which they can't but imagine they could, they still won't be able to outlaw kit cars, steam engines, tractors, lorries, passenger jet, helicopters, fire engines and so on and so forth. More political ideological rubbish!

Free for now,we will soon see within the next few years charges on these meteres (just like a parking meter except it won't be 'just a couple of quid'. When sales of electric cars go up it will happen.Just look what they did with road tax once everyone statted buying cars with £20 or £0 road fund licence.

Edited by Davyo

Cat out of the bag Buzz.

T'is all BS.

Hydrogen powered engines are used today and a number of London buses run on them. The problem with converting water into hydrogen is that it takes a lot of electricity to electrolyse the water. Its cheaper to generate hydrogen from oil. Which defeats the object. Hydrogen engines are not the future imo.

Free for now,we will soon see within the next few years charges on these meteres (just like a parking meter except it won't be 'just a couple of quid'. When sales of electric cars go up it will happen.Just look what they did with road tax once everyone statted buying cars with £20 or £0 road fund licence.

The Phev has a normal 3 pin plug charger that you can just plug into a normal socket and she works at the family company which sells plugs and sockets among other electrical gubbins so they'll stick an outside socket on the wall. But I agree the government are always looking for new and interesting ways to roger you!

Let's not forget it's 23 years away. Look how far technology has advanced in the last 23 years one can only wonder what the next 23 will bring. I probably won't be around by then but I can but hope it gives the children of my grandkids a better cleaner environment than we are living in now.

I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander Phev the other day and it was surprisingly nice to drive. Deadly silent though!

Work colleague has one of these, and she has come close to knocking someone down twice, so deadly silent could become very true a statement. People do not hear and do not look, both occasions the pedestrian have just stepped out unaware.