Most Dangerous Plant in Britain

Bamo

Used to be common on the banks of the Lower Tweed, luckily I was aware of it and stayed well clear...a few years ago a concerted effort to destroy it using weedkiller meant it was massively reduced...I don't know what it's like there now? Very nasty stuff!

Associated organisations; The Tweed Commission, The Tweed Forum and Tweed Foundation, I think I have those correct have worked tirelessly to eradicate this menace. It ia a dangerous plant as can be seen by previous pictures- dont touch. I first saw it on the Braeheads at Coldstream in the mid-50s where it colonised the steep bank there. Soon it was widespread along all Tweedside. Now it is all but gone thanks to work by contractors, angling Associations , boatmen and ghillies. Instead of native plants regenerating now that the overhead canopy of hogweed is gone we have in its place Himalayan Balsam and Japanese Knotweed. To my knowledge none of these are dangerous to humans but they do blanket out native species.

Blackpowder

It's highly poisonous if ingested, and the sap causes severe burns and often permanent scaring as a result.

There are other more poisonous plants, but they tend to be rare or occur in locations where people are less likely to come across them and or are found in lower density, than the dread hogweed. It truly is nasty stuff.... and a reportable if you have it on your ground.

I have acres of it on my riverbank. How do you report it?

Seems it's not compulsory

https://www.sepa.org.uk/environment/biodiversity/invasive-non-native-species/invasive-non-native-species-faqs/

However there could be problems if it spreads from your ground, see the giant hogweed section from the link above, 4th from bottom

I think things a different nowadays, in the past the old MAFF would enforce the landowners to pull/treat the weed.

Used to be the same with ragwort as well, if u refused ministry would come onto ur ground pick them and charge u for doing it.

There was grants available fairly recently, some river/fishery boards were applying for them to try and get rid of various invasive species, ur himamlayan balsam is really bad on rivers as the seeds was down stream

It's nasty but as long as you're not stupid and follow basic common sense it won't do you any harm. We have a lot of it down the grass verges at home. Any person with eyes can walk along and think ermm look at that big ******! That looks nasty with its dark, hairy stalk and general unpleasant look to it. I think I'll avoid that and definitely not lick it, touch it, play with it and rub the sap all over my body.

It harks back to the thread about common sense I feel! I'd say ragwort is much more dangerous than hogweed. Bracken is pretty rough as well and that's carcinogenic. Brambles can be pretty evil. And don't even think about fungi. Doesn't take a lot of them bad boys to really ruin your day.

Himalayan Balsam, Giant Hogweed, Japanese Knotweed were all brought in by the Victorians as ornamental garden plants. If they knew then what we know now about their invasive and unpleasant natures I am sure that they wouldn't have even considered them to adorn their gardens.

On our right shoot we have hogweed, fox glove and Himalayan balsam. Not sure how poisonous the latter is, if at all, but it is rife along side the river bank and culverts which crisscross the rough pasture land.

Walking through ripe Balsam the seed pods explode when you touch them, can be quite a sting across your face. I'm sure I have heard that there are possible problems for prospective purchasers where knotweed is present on domestic properties.

Blackpowder

The basic normal hogweed you see growing on the verges is relatively harmless. If you have sensitive skin then yes you could get a rash as a result of the sap getting onto the skin.

Giant Hogweed is in another realm. It is highly toxic and the sap will cause you a lot of grief, a bad case will look like and feel like you have shingles. It can be killed with a good;y dose of glysophate and on our river we used to inject the base of the plant with neat stuff as soon as we saw it appear. We had a landowner who actually grew the stuff alongside the river and the authorities failed/refused to do anything about it. It is a listed weed, having said that I used to fish the South Esk at Marcus and the opposite bank was just impenetrable for 15 to 20yrds of GHW. The gardener/caretaker kept it off our side by constant vigilance and spraying. One good thing was we rarely saw anyone fishing the far bank.

Giant Hogweed can be a nasty pasty but it wont leap out at you. Its hard not to avoid too seeing as its so damn big.

Now Hemlock and deadly nightshade can be nasty, infact life threatening if confused with other plants.

Hemlock looks a bit like the wild carrot family whilst deadly nightshade looks like a potato plant a little.

Id be much more concerned about fungi to be fair.

Giant hogweed is the bad one. the sap on your skin is not good and then add sunlight to that area and its a whole world of hurt, however.

common hogweed is very nice. not the mature leaf but the new shoots. tastes very nice indeed. roast beef, hogweed, mash and gravy. there is a few here that have eaten that one.

Associated organisations; The Tweed Commission, The Tweed Forum and Tweed Foundation, I think I have those correct have worked tirelessly to eradicate this menace. It ia a dangerous plant as can be seen by previous pictures- dont touch. I first saw it on the Braeheads at Coldstream in the mid-50s where it colonised the steep bank there. Soon it was widespread along all Tweedside. Now it is all but gone thanks to work by contractors, angling Associations , boatmen and ghillies. Instead of native plants regenerating now that the overhead canopy of hogweed is gone we have in its place Himalayan Balsam and Japanese Knotweed. To my knowledge none of these are dangerous to humans but they do blanket out native species.

Blackpowder

Sorry Blackpowder, " is all but gone" I don't think so, its is taking over here in the Kelso area. Yes the tweed forum spray it early in the season, but they don't do it all. I spray for about a week solid, and still it comes back with avengence.