Holidays in UK

Surfer

With recent events what are your views on UK 🇬🇧 Holidays,do you think they will be more popular than abroad 

Families not wanting/ affording abroad holidays, more for your money?

investing in Motorhome/ caravaning camping or the popular lodges

any other ideas ?

i know I’ve put a similar post in the death thread on the covid section but wanted an off in a different section 

After Mrs dougy ended up in RESUS for a day and then ICU for a week we made the decision that our holidays will be spent in the UK, we bought a tent, sold that then bought a bigger one and we've  had a few brilliant weeks camping. 

There are some beautiful places in this country.

She was a bit dubious to start but after sorting out a double inflatable bed and a couple of comfy chairs and a heater she's well happy. 

uk is an absolute ******* rip off for holidays etc... always go away to europe, once on the motorbike with mates, then again with the wife in the car or flying. two holidays for less than the price wife and i paid for our last uk holiday back in 2010.

38 minutes ago, AVB said:

The U.K. is rubbish for holidays. I love the place to live and don’t mind the odd short break but holidays are best abroad. Better value, more dependable weather, a better service culture. 

I am always amazed that I can fly thousand's of miles away and stay in a hotel, eat out at local restaurants every night, drink lots of booze, and it still cost a lot less than going on holiday in the U.K. 

I would like to stay in a hunters cabin type setup, where you can go out and shoot over the land with your own dog for the day. Also love staying in some spots round the U.K. ... we are thinking of looking into renting a camper van and travelling around seeing some of the sights. Whether it happens or not will I suppose depend on the cost. 

I'd love to go all over Scotland, Yorkshire, maybe even over to Ireland, stopping off at spots, pubs, restaurants on the way :) I hate beach type holidays, best holiday's I've ever had are probably in LA, where we did lots of tours, sight seeing, gun shooting and other fun stuff, or Washington, again seeing all the sights, monuments and events, just so happened to be the Bush funeral when we were there as well. 

Eating out at local places was awesome :) real experiences. 

Perhaps U.K. holiday entrepeneurs needs to up their game? I'm also surprised at the quality of food you can get abroad for low prices vs the **** we often get served in the U.K. ... I've never been anywhere as awful as a TGI friday's and yet the place used to have people queing out the doors 😮 

Me, my wife and our two young kids went camping (3 or 4 years ago?) (the first time for them) at a small site in North Yorkshire, only approx 40 miles from our home.  Cost £30 per night with an electric point.  Small shop on site, showers absolutely spotless...they even had a family shower room......and only 9 miles to Scarborough, Filey, etc.  We had a fantastic week...on the beach a few days building THE BEST SAND CASTLE EVER, the Sealife Centre, a farm/ kids adventure / climbing place, etc.  It only rained on the last night but we were ok.  We've been meaning to go again...we bought a larger tent and awning plus tent carpets...but due to this virus malarky, I can't see us going anywhere!   South West Scotland is another place for a fantastic holiday...as I'm sure some of our members here will testify.  There's plenty of fishing opportunities, lots of castles, botanical gardens, gorgeous beaches, very friendly locals and THE BEST MEMORIES that I will ever have...but that's another story!  Give the UK a chance, guys and girls.  If you plan it right and can even have a go at camping, then you're on to a winner.  The best bit is that they even speak the lingo....well, in England they do (except Geordieland 😉) and other UK nations you just nod and smile!  Happy holidays folks!

We tend to go on holidays in the uk more than abroad... Why the op got the idea that uk holidays are cheaper i don't  know, but a week in a cottage near the dorset coast in the school holidays will cost you more than a fortnight in greece... unless youre prepared to sleep 10 feet from a load of noisy strangers in a tent the uk is expensive normally so god knows what it will be like this year....

We are lucky that the other half’s brothers own a motor home sales and rental business so got to borrow one for a few days last year to go to robin hoods bay. It was during the heatwave when it was 30 odd degrees all week and it was brilliant. If we do it again I think we will try go for longer and drive around a little.

Our last holiday in the UK was to just outside of Bath for a camping expedition. It was a really hot week and we had a great time. But it was quite expensive. We've been to Spain twice since and loved it. We're quite antisocial and fell very lucky, especially with the last place which was about 2 miles down a donkey track with its own private pool. It was a villa that belongs to someone I used to ride for so it was free. The downside was Mrs BTJ was quite heavy in calf so the heat was a bit much for her, it got to 38c some days. The following week when we went home it got into the high 40's! The food in France and Spain, especially in what looks a cheap place is generally very tasty whereas over here cheap food is usually a dirty fry up and a cup of milky tea. 

We've been caravanning for about 8 years, though I started about 30 years ago with my parents. UK campsites seem to be getting more antisocial, with large groups of families - usually in tents, but not always - taking over several pitches, then treating the whole site like it's their personal playground. Music blaring all day and night, arguments, the inevitable "my laugh is louder than yours" competition. I sound like a party-pooper, but I enjoy time with my family playing games, playing in parks/rivers, riding bikes etc. When  nice quiet site turns into Butlins is can be quite off-putting. And when the kids can't get to sleep, so can't enjoy the next day properly it's downright maddening. The Mrs has had to go and have a word on several occasions and is, mostly, met with apologies and an eventual turning down of the racket. There have been one or 2 more obstinate campers who have had to be reported to the site.

Conversely we went to a chalet in Holland last year and it was sheer bliss! No loud music, no drunken revellers crooning out bad song lyrics in the wee hours. Just a lovely chilled out site, with excellent facilities; pools, parks, games etc. and friendly staff and other holiday-makers. Including the ferry, the pooch (even after his bloody injections we didn't know we needed on the way home), bike hire and the most expensive gelato in the world, it was still cheaper than the 2 weeks in Devon we were planning with the caravan. No way could we affor a chalet for 2 weeks in the summer hols in the UK

We'll still caravan for weekends, even long weekends, but I think our longer hols will be spent further afield

Wouldn't holiday in the UK if you payed me. The worsed city I have ever visited is London, a total rip off. Drink, food, shopping. I found the food was either expensive beyond belief or junk that makes KFC look good. 

I visited marrakech 3 years ago for 14 nights with my wife and her brother went to a b and b with his Mrs in Wales and this was in November so not high season and he paid more for his digs for a week with just a continental breakfast 

We don’t holiday without our labs and springer. We just book a cottage, live outside all day, bit of fishing, birding and open spaces. Then back home for loads of home cooked food and alcohol. A bit boring for some people but it’s what we want. I agree it is more expensive but from my experience more and more people are staying in Britain as all the properties we use are getting booked up for months, if not years in advance 

2 hours ago, MirokuMK70 said:

We tend to go on holidays in the uk more than abroad... Why the op got the idea that uk holidays are cheaper i don't  know, but a week in a cottage near the dorset coast in the school holidays will cost you more than a fortnight in greece... unless youre prepared to sleep 10 feet from a load of noisy strangers in a tent the uk is expensive normally so god knows what it will be like this year....

It was a question not a statement of holiday in uk cheaper , we have touring Caravan so it’s relatively cheap for two of us and very selective of sites we use , the ones we’ve been on that are family oriented ie haven ect do not put up with any antisocial behaviour 

we do like small sites aswell helps put into local economy 

we went to France last year with set up enjoyed that as well .

12 hours ago, Surfer said:

With recent events what are your views on UK 🇬🇧 Holidays,do you think they will be more popular than abroad 

This question is a bit like asking "Which is better, a shotgun or an air rifle?"

Some people will swear camping in the lake district is the only holiday you need, others will go to the same rock in the med year after year and avoid 'any of that foreign food'.  Still others will regularly fly to South Africa and shoot things.

Different strokes for different folks. 

As has been said, don't expect any bargoons this year in the UK.

The whole holiday thing is going to change 

imagine 

you have 6 holiday caravans rent them out to families There all a good distance apart 

one family goes down with Covid 19 there stuck there for another 2 weeks 

you then have to find another caravan for the next weeks bookings Probably going to have to do the shopping for the family in isolation 

and deep cleaning after every changeover will cost more 
the camp insurance is going to go through the roof 

the cheap holiday I think is a thing of the past 

Deleted - Shaun has sorted it 👍

I love UK holidays and I love going abroad. I rarely get to do either, but spending time with my family is bliss. I am off all weekend and so is my wife, the first time we have been together for any time since lockdown. To celebrate we are doing the ultimate staycation - tomorrow night we are camping in the garden to appease my little boys. They were too excited to sleep tonight as they are planning what to take with them on our trip to the end of the garden. I’ve suggested we pack light. 

Edited by WalkedUp

A couple of years ago I took a holiday back in the UK. We rented a house (they called it a cottage but it was really a semi) on the Gower in Wales. OK, I grew up there, so for me it was coming home again, but even if the place had been completely new to me it would still have been brilliant. The best part was being able to entertain the kids all day with no effort. One morning we'd go crabbing, another day we'd go to the Leisure Centre, in the evenings  we could take a cycle along the cliffs and try and spot rabbits. I bought second hand wetsuits and boogie boards for the kids off Ebay before we arrived and we spent days and days at the beach. I couldn't get them out of the water. Even got in some mackerel fishing. It was two weeks of bliss.

Where I stay in Thailand when I"m not in Saudi is a tourist town. But what's there to do if you visit there? Nothing really. Look at temples, drink in bars, and eat the local food. Riding an elephant will maybe kill a morning. But for the rest, it would just be looking at things. There's no open space. You can get someone to walk you around a bit of secondary growth jungle for a day or so, but it's all just tourist stuff these days. I suppose if you'd never been there it would probably be a bit different, but the world is becoming more and more the same. Subways, KFC, TK Max, etc.etc. What's the point in travelling halfway around the planet for that?  As for beaches, there's hardly anywhere left that hasn't been wrecked by unregulated development....maybe possibly Myanmar. And the majority of tourists are from China and they are something else!

No, two weeks in Wales, boy! Can't beat it!