Channel Migrants

ditchman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EDIT- Forgot to say, it is not illegal to enter the UK in the way they have as it is the only option available to them, the traffickers are another matter

Rubbish. It is illegal if they know they don't fit the criteria for asylum. As they are economic migrants, they know full well. Hence they destroy ID paperwork.

It is not the only option. They could settle elsewhere. They could return to their own country.

As for failed appeals. What percentage apply for asylum and what percentage disappear into the ether?

Naive doesn't quite hack it.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well since Simon put up the Post in October we've had a few more thousand cross the channel, aided by the French government , 

well....it seems it is slowing down now ...only 600 odd today...and toboot they are flouting the covid-19 rules....proberly trying to get here before the xmas rush and lockdown...so they can get some shopping in at currys PC world

59 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well....it seems it is slowing down now ...only 600 odd today...and toboot they are flouting the covid-19 rules....proberly trying to get here before the xmas rush and lockdown...so they can get some shopping in at currys PC world

Hello, yes and Macrons banned anyone going back including legitimate travellers, with Passports 

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Rubbish. It is illegal if they know they don't fit the criteria for asylum. As they are economic migrants, they know full well. Hence they destroy ID paperwork.

It is not the only option. They could settle elsewhere. They could return to their own country.

As for failed appeals. What percentage apply for asylum and what percentage disappear into the ether?

Naive doesn't quite hack it.

Spot on Gordon, henry simply does not want to see what is right in front of him. At the end of the day, not one single person has fled a threat to their life in a dingy, so out of 25 thousand or so who have arrived on our shores this year, should be classed as a genuine refugee, even if the law says they are, it should be changed. France is not a war torn country or and that's the end of any credible argument from Mr D 

18 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Just a point.

I was abroad recently when the travel rules changed. I was informed it was illegal for me to return to the UK without proof of a negative lateral flow test less than 48 hrs before departure. Completion of a on line travel document. Purchase of a PCR to be made in UK before my departure. Even if I got around these rules and managed to get back. I would commit an offence and face considerable fines. 

One law for law abiding UK citizens and no rules for others.

Interestingly my partners nephew arrived into Gatwick Airport yesterday from Dubai, coming home for Christmas.

Although he has had the tests etc before he took off nobody checked properly before he boarded. When he arrived here he was allowed to walk out of the airport completely unchecked. As were all the other people on his plane and presumably all the other planes. The airport was very busy and the arrivals Hall was packed

You really couldn't make it up

Over 900 in two days. If all attempts were made successfully,  the Total would be 1600 that’s a lot for winter. 

On Thursday (16 Dec) UK authorities have had to rescue or intercept 559 people from 19 events.
On Thursday (16 Dec) French authorities have so far intercepted and prevented at least 247 people from 9 events from reaching the UK.

On Friday (17 Dec) UK authorities have had to rescue or intercept 358 people from 10 events.
On Friday (17 Dec) French authorities have so far intercepted and prevented at least 317 people from 11 events from reaching the UK (3 of these events occurred on 16 December but were reported to the UK authorities yesterday).

11 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Over 900 in two days. If all attempts were made successfully,  the Total would be 1600 that’s a lot for winter. 

On Thursday (16 Dec) UK authorities have had to rescue or intercept 559 people from 19 events.
On Thursday (16 Dec) French authorities have so far intercepted and prevented at least 247 people from 9 events from reaching the UK.

On Friday (17 Dec) UK authorities have had to rescue or intercept 358 people from 10 events.
On Friday (17 Dec) French authorities have so far intercepted and prevented at least 317 people from 11 events from reaching the UK (3 of these events occurred on 16 December but were reported to the UK authorities yesterday).

All these events  , on a daily basis  boats called out from different Kent towns and villages. What happens when a UK trawler or small fishing boat gets into trouble there is no rescue vessel  available  , there all on taxi service .can see why the local fishermen are up in arms  with all of this . Wonder how much money these charities will loose out of , people are fed up .nothing happening .

2 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

All these events  , on a daily basis  boats called out from different Kent towns and villages. What happens when a UK trawler or small fishing boat gets into trouble there is no rescue vessel  available  , there all on taxi service .can see why the local fishermen are up in arms  with all of this . Wonder how much money these charities will loose out of , people are fed up .nothing happening .

I've noticed the rnli on TV adverts lately begging for money as their funding has obviously taken a big hit. I've donated in the past and won't be going forwards. 

11 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I've noticed the rnli on TV adverts lately begging for money as their funding has obviously taken a big hit. I've donated in the past and won't be going forwards. 

They have the 'rock and a hard place' problem.

If they didn't assist people in trouble on the seas .......... they will get slated and loose donors from the 'more liberal - welcome all comers' brigade.

If they do assist they have to bring the assisted back to the UK (cannot return them to France) - and get criticised and loose donors from the 'more hawkish - can't have people just making their own way in because they feel like it' brigade.

43 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

they do assist they have to bring the assisted back to the UK (cannot return them to France) - and get criticised and loose donors from the 'more hawkish - can't have people just making their own way in because they feel like it' brigade.

The main issue is the volume, especially seeing as it's winter. Can you imagine how popular this route will become when it gets warmer?

This issue needs sealing , it's unsustainable, and stopping it is going to require some drastic action, at the moment it would be cheaper all round just giving them a Eurostar ticket, and copping the traffickers fee off them when they get off the train.

As far as the rnli goes , they are going to suffer financially for sure , but I wonder if the French version has the same problem  ?

I doubt it very much....

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The main issue is the volume, especially seeing as it's winter. Can you imagine how popular this route will become when it gets warmer?

This issue needs sealing , it's unsustainable, and stopping it is going to require some drastic action, at the moment it would be cheaper all round just giving them a Eurostar ticket, and copping the traffickers fee off them when they get off the train.

As far as the rnli goes , they are going to suffer financially for sure , but I wonder if the French version has the same problem  ?

I doubt it very much....

I don't even know if there is a French charity one?

I don't disagree with anything you say, but it is (in my view) 'a rock and a hard place' for the RNLI - who cannot of course solve the problem - and their volunteers (who are usually all from seafaring families) will not let people drown when they can be saved.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

If they didn't assist people in trouble on the seas .......... they will get slated and loose donors from the 'more liberal - welcome all comers' brigade.

If they do assist they have to bring the assisted back to the UK (cannot return them to France) - and get criticised and loose donors from the 'more hawkish - can't have people just making their own way in because they feel like it' brigade.

I appreciate your opinion also the view of the RNLI John. I decided to give my support to Medecins sans Frontieres instead.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I get that but I firmly believe if these people didn't make it here via this route dinghys would be a problem of the past and the way it's going my donation will simply be used to help an illegal migrant arrive on our shores whilst someone in need through no fault of their own will probably drown while they're being an illegal taxi service. 

At the end of the day it's my donation and I don't believe they are a just cause anymore. 

I've been a donator to the RNLI for over twenty years , but I cancelled my direct debit about three months ago . I'll be honest , I didn't(and still dont) feel good about myself for cancelling it , but I just can't be part of what's happening at the moment.  Bitter real life experience tells me that as RNLI reserves are used up on immigrant ferrying  , finances will be drawn from elsewhere,  and used to ferry in illegal immigrants,  as other souls are left to perish at sea.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

who are usually all from seafaring families) will not let people drown when they can be saved

Of course not. 

But its the definition, most of the time these boats call the UK  coastguard when they are on route and still on the French side of the channel. 

By the time the rnli meets them, they are in British waters, and still not in trouble per se. 

It just makes a mockery of the lifeboats cause. 

4 minutes ago, spanj said:

I’m a fairly simple bloke and in the good old days we blockaded the channel/French ports pretty well. Surely in this day and age a few grey boats and a flotilla of rm/navy crewed rigid raiders would be sufficient to turn the hordes back

to do that we would need to be in french waters......and if we were they would view that as yet another invasion...from those damned "roast beefs"...........perhaps we ought to nab Macron and Truss him up (see what i did there)....and send him off to the isle of Elba for some gardening leave with his granny

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

to do that we would need to be in french waters......and if we were they would view that as yet another invasion...from those damned "roast beefs"...........perhaps we ought to nab Macron and Truss him up (see what i did there)....and send him off to the isle of Elba for some gardening leave with his granny

I'm afraid the "Rosbifs" of old are now viewed as a childrens plaything (dummy) thanks to our weak  politicos?