Recommend a new coat.

Wymondley

As the title really, recommend a new winter shooting coat for me.

Traditional style, light weight, waterproof and breathable.

I have a Sherwood forest Kensington jacket, but I get far too hot in it unless I'm standing around, I'd like something similar without the padding, it never gets cold enough to need it.

I don't really feel the cold anyway.

I've reverted to my old waxed Barbour in the current wet weather, but I'm sure there's something better.

The bay of plenty, Austrian ex army jacket, about £40, wind and waterproof and not heavy. Had mine for years, best i have ever bought.

1 minute ago, billytheghillie said:

The bay of plenty, Austrian ex army jacket, about £40, wind and waterproof and not heavy. Had mine for years, best i have ever bought. M65 goretex one.

I have tried both the light and medium weight MUSTO coats , Barbour , both the wax and the one similar to the Musto ones and the best one I have had is a Le Chameu I bought years it ago , it served me well and ended up being my number one wild fowling coat , waterproof , nice and warm , game pockets at the back , hand warming pockets and a hood . quite expensive ( for me ) when I first bought it but I have now had it for getting on for 20 years so it don't owe me nothing , by the way , I would put my MUSTO ones at the bottom of the list and wont buy another one .

9 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

The bay of plenty, Austrian ex army jacket, about £40, wind and waterproof and not heavy. Had mine for years, best i have ever bought.

this ^^^ I'm into my third year with mine and yesterday it proved to be just as good as day 1 .👍

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/collection/sarma/23

Unlined, Totally windproof, not guaranteed waterproof but I've never found it to leak. Plenty of movement allowed. Loads of proper pocket space. Can be unzipped and vented underarm. Chunky zip and big buttons. Chuck it in the washer if it's mucky. You can buy a separate liner if you feel the cold. I wear it just over a T shirt unless temp is minus then I wear a waistcoat under. Cos it's not camo I don't feel self conscious in it if I need to call anywhere. 

On the downside, it has velcro in daft places that i removed, only needed if you need reminding of your name. It also has large useless pockets on the sleeves that if used restricts movement so I took one off and put it by the lower pocket to zip in my personal med kit and first aid kit. (I have to carry insulin and other meds)

Can't rate it highly enough and brand new a fraction of brand named priced fancy kit.

The link should be the Särmä Windproof Smock 

Screenshot_20221116-080755_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Centrepin
Addition

I have an Arktis, Fortis, Country covers, call it what you will jacket. It is over 25 years old, I also have the overtrousers to match. Although ideal for picking up or beating, I wanted something that looked a bit smarter for driven days. I have 2 tweed waterproof jackets and even though 1 is lightweight,  they are still a bit warm. I then spotted a Snowbee (fishing tackle) 'field coat' on fleabay, it was £60 brand new. It has been a great shooting coat for the last 3 years. Plenty of pockets, 2 good sized cartridge pockets with tabs to keep them open and drainage holes in the base. Inner zip and game pockets and neoprene inner cuffs to stop water ingress. Good fold away hood, all in all an excellent jacket. So don't just look at shooting coats  ! 

I have just googled Snowbee field coat and it is now called Prestige 2. I am trying to attach link but I am struggling 😫 

Edited by Westley

I purchased a full suit for my wife a fair while ago now and have not seen them advertised since....Sasta  made in Finland who apparently make all the Finnish Military stuff as well. It is still perfect and water proof plus nice and light which was one reason she took to it.   Be cautious of any that make you pay to have their name emblazoned on the chest. Usually rip offs.

Edited by Walker570

Has anyone one any jackets made by  DUCK DRI?.. I have DUCK DRI treggings,  they are top class,  waterproof,  and very hard wearing,  plus don't restrict you walking.  Their gear is very reasonably priced, But their way of ordering is a bit backward, as in they want you to fill out a order, and send a cheque or postal order! No credit/ debit card facilities 🤔..

Edited by Krico woodcock

Plenty of recommendations! Spoilt for choice! 
I have Musto, Barbour, loads of Fortis gear ( their canvas salopettes are indestructible ) and Laksen. If you want really really really really good quality warm waterproof clothing then you’ve got to go Scandinavian. It’s cold over there and they know what they’re doing when it comes to weatherproof clothing. 
The Laksen jacket I have must be 20 year old now and still gives good service despite the lining starting to come away. I’ll sort that though. 

22 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

But their way of ordering is a bit backward, as in they want you to fill out a order, and send a cheque or postal order! No credit/ debit card facilities 🤔..

Yep, somebody else recommended them to me, went to look and....Yep, no business for you.  Don't have a cheque book, and my days of schlepping to a post office (if you can find an open one) to purchase a postal order for mail order items ended in 1993.

Back on topic, will add Shooterking to the mix.  Seem to be about half of the price of the big brands at full RRP, and are often on sale.  Don't think they suffer from excess padding personally, but you may be made of sterner stuff.

38 minutes ago, Krico woodcock said:

Has anyone one any jackets made by  DUCK DRI?.. I have DUCK DRI treggings,  they are top class,  waterproof,  and very hard wearing,  plus don't restrict you walking.  Their gear is very reasonably priced, But their way of ordering is a bit backward, as in they want you to fill out a order, and send a cheque or postal order! No credit/ debit card facilities 🤔..

I have two Duck Dri jackets and some over trousers. 
I have had them over 20 years and they are still leak free. 
They are a good company to deal with.

3 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

I used to shoot with the Owner of Duck Dri and although I never owned one, they seemed to be very good. The lads that did buy them said they were ideal, especially for beating. 

Generally prefer not to wear a waterproof if it is not needed and pack a packable waterproof  in my vest’s poachers pocket. 

I have a Deerhunter jacket and find it too hot unless I am standing around wildfowling or just walking the dog before work. Again the Austrian army jacket is the best waterproof I have and only comes out if it is lashing it down.

But you can’t beat the small of wax cotton. 

Plenty of suggestions and names I'd not thought of, thank you.

I've got lots to look at.

Not seen Seeland or Deerhunter mentioned, two makes I'd considered.

I looked at a Jack pyke jacket in Go outdoors, the Rannock, fitted the bill regarding light weight but I've no idea how it'd fare in a downpour.

Someone mentioned budget, I'm not fussed, if I find something that works for me I'm happy to pay, I just don't want to spend out on a jacket I'll still overheat in.

8 hours ago, London Best said:

I have two Duck Dri jackets and some over trousers. 
I have had them over 20 years and they are still leak free. 
They are a good company to deal with.

I have no doubt they are a great company.  But it leaves them very hard to deal with when they have no credit card/debit card facilities. And I'm from Ireland so near enough impossible. There is a shop in northern Ireland that  brings in their treggings, its where I got mine. But I'd like to have the option to browse their website and just buy something. As I said they seem to produce quality clothing. They are obviously missing a big trick by not getting a basic set up to take card. But there may be a reason they choose not too.

9 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

Not seen Seeland or Deerhunter mentioned, two makes I'd considered.

My favourite driven game topcoat for the last five seasons has been a Seeland. Don’t ask me which model because I don’t know. Bought it at a show somewhere for £70. It is lightweight and does not leak. Trust me, I’ve tested it! 
The Duck-dri stuff tends to be WARM.

On 15/11/2022 at 21:22, billytheghillie said:

I bought one of these and am very impressed,totally waterproof,warm and well made also it dries out remarkably quickly .