Ebay Scammer

fern01

Sold an item to a person in N Ireland valued at £30 on eBay

The same day they received it they opened a return request and sent it back recorded delivery

Only when I opened it it contained some random valueless rubbish

Ebay insists because the tracking shows the returned item has been delivered that is the end of the matter and gave them a full refund so I am £33 out of pocket

My appeal against the refund was refused

So they get away with theft / fraud and it has really annoyed me

Anyone on here got any ideas as to the best course of action

2 hours ago, fern01 said:

The same day they received it they opened a return request and sent it back recorded delivery

Ebay insists because the tracking shows the returned item has been delivered that is the end of the matter and gave them a full refund so I am £33 out of pocket

If it was me I would get in touch with the police over here, we aren't a big place and you will have their address for the postage. To me they have committed fraud and theft from you.

11 minutes ago, matone said:

Had a similar experience of Ebay`s intransigent manner ......closed my account and forgot about them ! They are not interested in anything but revenue. Vote with your feet.

Sounds like the only course of action. 

These things get mentioned fairly regularly,  people buying then returning rubbish but Ebay just don't care.

What sort of feedback did the buyer have though? 

8 hours ago, fern01 said:

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

trouble is you can't leave negative feedback - or you couldn't at one point

eBay isn't for people selling anymore - it is about web businesses that use the platform for their sales engine. Therefore they aren't interested in the minnows of private sellers....

This happened to my mate.

He contacted the Police and reported what had happened and got a crime number.

He then got in touch with ebay with the crime number and threatened  small claims court, eventually ebay gave him his money back but it took a while.

Like someone said they just want to be another amazon.

42 minutes ago, ratchers said:

This happened to my mate.

He contacted the Police and reported what had happened and got a crime number.

He then got in touch with ebay with the crime number and threatened  small claims court, eventually ebay gave him his money back but it took a while.

Like someone said they just want to be another amazon.

Hello, this sounds a good way to go 👍

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Sounds like the only course of action. 

These things get mentioned fairly regularly,  people buying then returning rubbish but Ebay just don't care.

I was the buyer ,the item was delivered to an address 10 miles away according to Ebay`s system but they and the seller just stated that the item had been delivered !!! It was only a £25 purchase but it wouldn`t have mattered if it was £250 or £2500 at  stake !!! My 18yrs and 100% record as a customer stood for zilch .

Good news is that a month later the item arrived through the courier`s system but that had zilch to do with Ebay!!!

1 hour ago, matone said:

was only a £25 purchase but it wouldn`t have mattered if it was £250 or £2500 at  stake !!! My 18yrs and 100% record as a customer stood for zilch .

I wouldn't have spent £250 on ebay 

I have had items not turn up, you've no choice but appealing,  very annoying when the seller says they have.

16 hours ago, fern01 said:

7 hours ago, London Best said:

You have his address. 
Go and knock on his door.

In this in case it isn't  practical.   The seller is in Yorkshire and the buyer is in N Ireland.  And has been stated you'd only get in bother on the doorstep...  for £25.  Really.?  Also. ..  as has been written .  If it irks so much go through plod, get the crime number and harass eBay. You'd probably get your money and a bit of satisfaction. 

Mate of mine got done last year on Ebay, he was selling an iPhone and it all went fine until he received an email from the buyer saying the glass was cracked and he was returning the phone and demanded a refund, on receiving the phone he discovered it was the same model but not his phone, the buyer had done a switch, Ebay were not helpful, so he closed the account.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

You have his address. 
Go and knock on his door.

Its a long way to N Ireland from where I live 

Also they may be violent when confronted, and our SGC is always at risk

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Police? There's no way of proving what was in the package ... at either end - to be evidence plod can take action on.

I can prove that my item was not in the box that was returned as it was too small to put the item in.  I have proved this to eBay with photos with a ruler included but it makes no difference they still took the buyers side

Sold a bicycle on eBay just last month. Buyer bid, won, was sent the invoice and never heard from again. Fortunately cash on collection so not out of pocket and eBay refunded the fees. But, yes, it does irk.

However at least I was able to leave feedback to this effect:

NON PAYING BIDDER! NON PAYING BIDDER REPORT HAS BEEN MADE TO eBAY. As eBay no longer allows "Negative Feedback" to be left for a Non Paying Bidder this has had to be left as "Positive". BUT BE IN NO DOUBT THIS SELLER DID NOT PAY AND DID NOT RESPOND TO INVOICES OR MESSAGES!

That's really all the seller here can do perhaps? Leave additional feedback to at least give future sellers a caution to be aware of past issues? But yes I'd very much also report this to the police.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Sold a bicycle on eBay just last month. Buyer bid, won, was sent the invoice and never heard from again. Fortunately cash on collection so not out of pocket and eBay refunded the fees. But, yes, it does irk.

However at least I was able to leave feedback to this effect:

NON PAYING BIDDER! NON PAYING BIDDER REPORT HAS BEEN MADE TO eBAY. As eBay no longer allows "Negative Feedback" to be left for a Non Paying Bidder this has had to be left as "Positive". BUT BE IN NO DOUBT THIS SELLER DID NOT PAY AND DID NOT RESPOND TO INVOICES OR MESSAGES!

That's really all the seller here can do perhaps? Leave additional feedback to at least give future sellers a caution to be aware of past issues? But yes I'd very much also report this to the police.

I had a similar experience and on looking at the bidders feedback he had several positive feedbacks with the same thing that you have done. No action taken by ebay despite thier policy of 3 strikes. The only thing this does is boost their positive feedback score. Most buyers don't check positive feedback beyond how many they have.

Edited by Rem260