Barbed wire cutters

mgsontour

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

While out today one of the dogs got wrapped in discarded barbed wire and while 20 or so of us stood about no-one had anything to cut the stuff without heading for the cars, does anyone carry anything small and lightweight that does the job? Cheers

Not lightweight, but I carry a set of cutters that the farmer's use to cut/twist wire. I use them if I come across an Ewe or Lamb trapped in the wire, and then notify the farmer afterwards.

Horrible stuff, I had to deal with a mess of old barbed wire after we had a tree come down on a fence a few years ago.

It burred the edge on every cutter I tried except a very expensive set of Snap On mini bolt cutters.

I think you really need side cutters designed for hard wire, not just copper cable, probably neither small or light weight.

Have a look at knipex brand.

Some of the Leathermans now have replaceable (hardened?) wire cutter blades.  Leatherman will cut single core barbed wire OK, but not so esay on the old twin cored type.  I carry old fashioned 'fencing pliers' in the LandRover, but too big for pocket.  As said above Knipex cutters are very good.

I've carried a leatherman wave for nearly 25 years, it cuts barbed wire easily but on double wire you sort of have to wiggle it round to get a cut. If you can seperate the strands it cuts clean on one squeeze.

I do believe the larger leathermans are able to cut double strand but have no personal experience of this.

One word of warning, a leatherman is now an offensive weapon if carried other than shooting or some "reasonable" purposes as it has a locking blade.

• 1 month later...
On 14/12/2022 at 22:35, Wymondley said:

Horrible stuff, I had to deal with a mess of old barbed wire after we had a tree come down on a fence a few years ago.

It burred the edge on every cutter I tried except a very expensive set of Snap On mini bolt cutters.

I think you really need side cutters designed for hard wire, not just copper cable, probably neither small or light weight.

Have a look at knipex brand.

After some reading and a trip to toolstation & Screwfix ( their mini bolt cutters felt very cheap ) I paid the extra and bought Knipex and they work like a dream and light/small enough to carry in all fairness for anyone who wants to know, these are the model I went for:

Knipex 71 01 160 Cobalt Bolt Steel Wire Power Side Cutter/Cutting Pliers 160mm

On 24/12/2022 at 13:54, WalkedUp said:

I take a skin stapler with me to do field repairs on the dogs 👍

I have one in the car

On 15/12/2022 at 06:54, tharsus said:

Knipex mini bolt cutters are the best bet.

Bought them mate