H.S. 2

scouser

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

London and the South East is richer by design, always has been and unless the design changes always will be. Get over yourself. 

Yes. It is why the true best gunmakers in the 19th Century onwards (irrespective of the claims of Westley, or Powell or Armstrong or whoever else) were in London. Boss Purdey and later Hollands.

2 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Would be interesting to see the amount of people north of m25 who want what you have inside the m25. 

I for 1 wouldn't loose any sleep if I never saw the capital again, and to be honest I've no plans to visit ever again. 

Happy to never visit the place again. I don't think that many are overly interested. 

If all the money and infrastructure is ploughed into one place it will clearly out perform elsewhere. 

I'd rather the hs2 money was spent else where, linking the east and west up would be nice, just some public transport round here would be nice. 

I can travel by train to London in 4 hrs. Drive in 3. Can't get a bus to the nearest city unless I walk for an hour and then it's once hourly and not all day.cant get anywhere really without a car yet in London my battery would go flat as I never used it, spoilt for all the 24/7 transport options, motor way links, high speed broadband etc etc etc. It's designed to outperform. 

We have been trying to get the A1 made into dual carriageway from Morpeth (north of Newcastle) to the Scottish border for years.

It’s starting its not starting.

The money wasted on not bringing HS2 up North would have paid for it many times over.

Anything north of Watford Gap is Scotland 🤬

:shaun:

20 hours ago, Mice! said:

I couldn't care less about getting to London faster, I'd much prefer a well ran, on time, cheaper service we could rely on, imagine that, just like Holland, China, Japan, France.........

Absolutely bud.

Will never be while we have such self seeking politicians?

Self and friends is their only thought?

11 hours ago, Westward said:

leaves the house around 7 am and with travel time of an hour and 10 minutes each way he gets home around 7 pm. He does not get paid overtime but he has a career, not just a job. 

HS2 north west or not, the only way levelling up will really start is when people's attitudes change to be more like those of the south east. It's not about railways or shopping malls or car battery super factories and it's certainly not about shovelling in huge amounts cash, it's about more and more people having aspirations for further education and making the effort for a better life.

This has made me laugh, Ginger cats reply is great, but your son's long ours just aren't that long, he's not even doing a ten hour shift, and probably earning very good money, I say fair play to him, but he's certainly not working any harder or longer than many many others all over the country. 

Me I've just done 6 12hr shifts, that just how my shift pattern works. 

An hour and 10 commute each way for a 'career', and apparently nobody north of Watford has ever put in a proper day's graft 😂

Must be tongue in cheek, @Westward can't seriously believe it, especially as he appears to be in Gloucestershire.  Not only are folk there lazy, but apparently they prefer the company of sheep to ladies!

Whisper it, but in the frozen norf, Barrow in Furness, they manage to build some of the most complex machines man has ever built - nuclear submarines.  If only the highly qualified welder, using exotic materials, on which many lives depend, sat in a cramped sub hull section, had the ability to get stuck in like a management consultant who lives in Romford.

Now, back on topic, if only Barrow could get some decent transport links, not the embarrassing clattering slow train that crawls its way across the Pennines.  Hell, they could even dream big and haul freight.

30 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Whisper it, but in the frozen norf, Barrow in Furness, they manage to build some of the most complex machines man has ever built - nuclear submarines.  If only the highly qualified welder, using exotic materials, on which many lives depend, sat in a cramped sub hull section, had the ability to get stuck in like a management consultant who lives in Romford.

Now, back on topic, if only Barrow could get some decent transport links, not the embarrassing clattering slow train that crawls its way across the Pennines.  Hell, they could even dream big and haul freight.

They want to take on another 5,000 over the coming years, where they'll work or what they'll do I don't know, what I do know is if they weren't stuck out on that peninsula with one road in and a naff rail link then they would be fighting people off with a stick.

There has been talk forever of a road or Bridge going across from the Morecombe area, but I doubt it'll ever happen,  something similar to the toll at Bristol, I'd happily pay as it would save me a lot of time and money. 

This country has a railway network that was basically laid out when Queen Victoria  was on the throne.

OK the trains look more modern and the stations have had a make over but its still so far out of date and we can't run enough trains to cope with the demand that's potentially there.

We need not only HS2 we need a lot more besides

Compare what we have with the rail systems in France or Germany and you see how much catching up we have to do.

Cancelling the Northern section of HS2 is just plain wrong

Being in Tamworth I’d say we are the worst hit area. So many farms bought up . I’ve lost 6 farms to shoot on and know the people personally affected. It’s destroyed homes and businesses.

my mate made his home in a barn he purchased and only a year later was compulsory purchased . 
I guess our duck shoot it safe tho 😎

hello, I see a report of a couple with a beautiful house and land that has been the family home and worth considerable money where the new HS 2 line cuts right past their land, what is it worth now 🤔

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, I see a report of a couple with a beautiful house and land that has been the family home and worth considerable money where the new HS 2 line cuts right past their land, what is it worth now 🤔

is it going to run anyway with the rail unions and strikes 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

22 hours ago, Mice! said:

They want to take on another 5,000 over the coming years, where they'll work or what they'll do I don't know, what I do know is if they weren't stuck out on that peninsula with one road in and a naff rail link then they would be fighting people off with a stick.

Rubbish transport links - road or rail - literally holding back employment opportunities and growth.  Again.

Or take the example of Portishead.  Needs a rail link to Bristol now, but nothing but dithering.

Meanwhile of course, London gets yet more spending on transport projects.

It feels like deliberate self-harm.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Rubbish transport links - road or rail - literally holding back employment opportunities and growth.  Again.

Or take the example of Portishead.  Needs a rail link to Bristol now, but nothing but dithering.

Meanwhile of course, London gets yet more spending on transport projects.

It feels like deliberate self-harm.

I understand why London gets what it gets, it's rammed with people and makes a lot of money.

Watching the news last night and hearing Sunak saying about how the money will be spent on other projects I just winced, any road improvement actually means years of road works and hold ups, we've had smart motorway work ongoing now forever it seems, with very little work seeming to be done, while the signs read 'you might not see us because we're working during the night' which means there's nothing happening. 

A bloke said it costs him £360+ a year to travel from Leeds to Manchester on the train for work,  that should be a straight forward journey,  unless the train is cancelled,  or breaks down, or is packed, he said he could drive, but ask anyone who drives that route what it's like, M62/M60 you can guarantee a smash or hold up every day, despite it being a really smart motorway,  where the speed limit is constantly changing so what do you watch, the road or the signs, nobody driving that route will be a clear run 5 days straight. 

This is why most around Manchester would prefer East West improvement and couldn't care less what they do in London.

At best this was a “Vanity Project” in my eyes, a little like Victorian folly’s. Would 30 minute saving really make a difference…I don’t think so. I say this with experience of commuting historically Oxford to London and more lately a couple of times a month Scotland to London (17 hour days). Improving links into London like this just extends the commuter zone, increasing house prices along the route.

If promises are kept and money saved is spent in the North it is far more likely to bring value for money.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

promises are kept and money saved is spent in the North it is far more likely to bring value for money.

That's the point If , nothing will be seen for years, but don't forget the price of a bus ticket all day travel is staying at £2 across England till next year 😅😅 I'm sure there are plenty of people enjoying this, but they won't be starting work at 6am, or finishing at 10pm

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

That's the point If , nothing will be seen for years, but don't forget the price of a bus ticket all day travel is staying at £2 across England till next year 😅😅 I'm sure there are plenty of people enjoying this, but they won't be starting work at 6am, or finishing at 10pm

Just like much of HS2 then!   :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Some people seem to have forgotten this is a B' liar /Broon folly that was being driven on by Lieboor Mayors in the midlands and north.

Same as the “Dome” in London regarding folly.

Rumours at the time suggested it was B’liars son that convinced him it was a great idea.

:shaun:

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Some people seem to have forgotten this is a B' liar /Broon folly that was being driven on by Lieboor Mayors in the midlands and north.

/\. This. 

"HS2 was first proposed by the Labour government in 2009 under Gordon Brown, and HS2 Ltd was established to explore the possibility of a high-speed rail line connecting London and more northern parts of the country."

The relatively short distances in the UK coupled with dense land usage always made it questionable.  Is it worth a small very large fortune to save a hour off a journey?  It costs MUCH MUCH more per mile than similar lines in Europe have, and they (because of the longer distances) do save significant time.

The argument that it gives extra capacity is valid, but that could have been provided without the 'HS' element much more economically.  It was simply a 'vanity project'  and the main useful element (additional capacity) could have been achieved much more sensibly and quickly.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It costs MUCH MUCH more per mile than similar lines in Europe have, and they (because of the longer distances) do save significant time.

Indeed, quite apart from the cost of land, they wanted a 360 km/h line (the fastest in Europe), so it has to be straight as a straight thing.  High capacity, 200 km/h lines with a large loading gauge to permit double deck operation would've been fair more preferable.  Then buy some 'off the shelf' stock of a proven design.  But that would be too simple.

Also, why the bloody hell can I not get on the night sleeper from say Bristol and wake up the next day in Amsterdam ready to go to a meeting?  Night sleeper services are going down a storm on the continent, with carriage makers unable to build/convert the  coaches fast enough.