Gloves when shooting

30-6

41 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

When you read the mags why do see some of the writers testing rifles wearing gloves ? Surely you can feel the trigger better without gloves. 

In winter ok can understand, but some seem to prefer it year round. 

I would think bare finger is best with a rifle but certainly thin leather gloves with a shotgun.

In winter for warmth with a shotgun, can load cartridges ok.

The only time I wear for rifle is if extremely cold, but these days don't go out if it's that bad. Then take off to perform the shot. I sometimes wear white cotton gloves under fingerless gloves.

In say February and cold on the moles, I slip one of those hot packs into each glove, they activate when opened and meet air, last couple of hours. Also keep a Hotrox handwarmer in my pocket.

Off subject slightly, one of the farmers lent me a pair when using his quad looked and felt like a chamois leather, so must be chamois. Super, super warm and comfortable.

I can’t recommend MacWet gloves at all if they’re made to the same spec’ as mine. 
I bought them donkies years ago when I was seriously into trap shooting. They were designed to give grip in the wet and while they may do that, they aren’t warm and they certainly aren’t waterproof. 
Mine have sat in a drawer for years, unused. 

I don't use a rifle.

For the shotgun, I use the leather open palm like these

dents-open-palm-leather-shooting-mitts-william-powell_1800x1800.jpg?v=1657797209in very cold weather.  I can use the gun well enough and hands keep reasonably warm, but getting cartridges from a pocket can be troublesome.  Fine from a bag which has a rigid leather rim.  Not a big issue for me as I don't shoot big days that need rapid reloading frequently.  I can't shoot in a glove that covers the trigger finger or trigger hand thumb.

I  very hot weather, I use a thin leather glove on the left hand only (I'm right handed) to protect from barrel heat when using a s/s.  Could even have done with it today it was so warm!

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I can’t recommend MacWet gloves at all if they’re made to the same spec’ as mine. 

Mine literally fell apart after but one year. Absolute rubbish they are. best shooting gloves that I ever had were Bianchi (or USA) thin deerskin gloves. You could get them soaked wet through yet they'd dry and show no ill effect at all. Superb yet sadly in the UK thin deerskin (not calves or cow skin) gloves don't seem to be found.

Edited by enfieldspares

I use gloves for all of my shooting.  Macwets mainly, but I also use the mesh back fingerless Browning gloves in summer. I suffer from the heat and consequently my hands sweat a lot. The gloves aide my grip on the gun, but mainly help to stop the chequering from clogging up with muck and the blueing and black actions on my guns from getting marked.

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Mine literally fell apart after but one year. Absolute rubbish they are. best shooting gloves that I ever had were Bianchi (or USA) thin deerskin gloves. You could get them soaked wet through yet they'd dry and show no ill effect at all. Superb yet sadly in the UK thin deerskin (not calves or cow skin) gloves don't seem to be found.

I have a pair of Macwets that have holes in the right thumb and index finger, caused by loading a semi auto, so I keep them for just that gun. They are at least 10 years old.

On 08/10/2023 at 14:19, JohnfromUK said:

I don't use a rifle.

dents-open-palm-leather-shooting-mitts-william-powell_1800x1800.jpg?v=1657797209in very cold weather.  I can use the gun well enough and hands keep reasonably warm, but getting cartridges from a pocket can be troublesome.  Fine from a bag which has a rigid leather rim.  Not a big issue for me as I don't shoot big days that need rapid reloading frequently.  I can't shoot in a glove that covers the trigger finger or trigger hand thumb.

I  very hot weather, I use a thin leather glove on the left hand only (I'm right handed) to protect from barrel heat when using a s/s.  Could even have done with it today it was so warm!

I’m also a convert to these … not the trendiest look! BUT keeping the blood on the back of your hand toasty seems to do the trick, and no real loss in dexterity 👍

On 08/10/2023 at 13:19, JohnfromUK said:

I don't use a rifle.

dents-open-palm-leather-shooting-mitts-william-powell_1800x1800.jpg?v=1657797209in very cold weather.  I can use the gun well enough and hands keep reasonably warm, but getting cartridges from a pocket can be troublesome.  Fine from a bag which has a rigid leather rim.  Not a big issue for me as I don't shoot big days that need rapid reloading frequently.  I can't shoot in a glove that covers the trigger finger or trigger hand thumb

I use these on a really cold day with a bitter wind, but, as you say, getting cartridges from a pocket is an issue If birds are hurtling at you.

I simply don’t like wearing gloves; even on slow bolting bunny days in the dead blue steel cold mornings when that gun is sooo cold to the touch, I find that hands do eventually acclimatise and grow warm. 
Wind chill is another factor however, but I still can’t wear them even though I now have a dead finger due to an accident with a saw, which throbs a bit when it’s bitter. 
The only gloves I own are work gloves.