Could We Subscribe To The Cost Of The Running Of P W ?

marsh man

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy to pay £5.

Only 2 issues that I can think of:

1) It might come as a surprise to members returning from a period of absence if they log in and are immediately prompted to donate £5.

2) It might become a challenge to attract new members - except those joining via word of mouth recommendation.

A possible solution to the above is to allow a 30 day 'free trial', which activates on your first login after the fee was implemented.

Another point to raise is that while I would be happy to pay £5, would £1 be more practical? A pound is such a paltry amount in today's economy that very few would mind parting with it for something that they enjoy. I guess the question would be whether 5 times as many members would be willing to pay £1 as they would £5.

Its Teal's decision, as its his Forum.
With a new Server on the horizon there will be an unexpected cost .

Rather than paying a subscription, or joining fee, to gain access, its probably better to make available a voluntary donation button on the Forum.
Members could then donate what they want (if anything) and when they want.
This would not affect their access either way.

Edited by Cranfield

Good morning all , This was only a suggestion and I am sure to set a subscription up is not as easy as it sound and like some members have mentioned weather it would put some casual members off and other issues that could crop up.

I don't have a clue about these sort of things and this would had been the level where I would have got off and let the ones who are far cleverer than me to carry on and see where it take us to the next stage .

As already seen , a lot of the members would help out in a small way if needed.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to keep hearing your views :good:

I would happily make a donation as, like all on here, I get a lot of pleasure from the forum, have met many members and communicate with a few others, so more than happy to contribute.

OB 

2 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Its Teal's decision, as its his Forum.
With a new Server on the horizon there will be an unexpected cost .

Rather than paying a subscription, or joining fee, to gain access, its probably better to make available a voluntary donation button on the Forum.

I do believe that another forum [BSAOG] did just this,,,, asking for donations. I donated a one-off £20, others different amounts. A few years later the plug was pulled, without any warning 🫤 Not saying the same would happen to PW, just passing comment.

I would go with this option 👍

Just wanted to nip in quickly and say thanks so much for this topic. Really kind and generous of you. I am giving things some thought. 

At the moment my priority is to get the new server finalised and set up, before the move! I'm waiting to hear back on some costings. Really sorry about all the problems, feel like I'm letting the community down. So it is much appreciated to read this.  Thank you!!

13 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Will i get a say who will get banned  if so i am in 

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

got someone particular in mind ?

That's me out then  !   😄

I'd just got me cheque book out, too.

Edited by Westley

11 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Fully agree.   That is exactly what happens with the mig-welding forum.   I send £10 every so often, and reckon it is excellent value for money (whch reminds me that it must be 2 or 3 years since my last contribution, so time give them some more).

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

6 minutes ago, Teal said:

Really sorry about all the problems, feel like I'm letting the community down.

Thanks for working to correct it, and you are not letting down at all.  These things happen.

On the suggestion of a charge, I would be happy to make a contribution should that be the decision and would not be planning to 'jump ship'. 

33 minutes ago, Teal said:

Just wanted to nip in quickly and say thanks so much for this topic. Really kind and generous of you. I am giving things some thought. 

At the moment my priority is to get the new server finalised and set up, before the move! I'm waiting to hear back on some costings. Really sorry about all the problems, feel like I'm letting the community down. So it is much appreciated to read this.  Thank you!!

You are certainly not letting us down and these things happen , we might be letting you down if we don't dip our hand in our pockets , hopefully the new server will soon be up and running . :good:

10 hours ago, Westley said:

That's me out then  !   😄

I'd just got me cheque book out, too.

Why would i ban you 🤷‍♀️

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

got someone particular in mind ?:hmm:

you might be a different matter 🤣🤣

I quite happily contribute to Wikipedia one a year to help with their running costs and would be more than pleased to do the same to PW.

I would have thought that if PW were to follow the same fund raising model as Wiki it would make a significant inroad into costs without putting new and old members off. 

I am more than happy to contribute towards this idea, either as a one off contribution or a regular donation when funds are needed like at present to help Teal and the crew get things up and going again.  I much appreciate the help and advice -even just the chance to vent at times when i am on  line.  When it goes down it eally sucks.

Pushkin😎