.22LR what would you buy?

ElvisThePelvis

I have a budget of £500, possibly£600, for a .22 LR Rifle ( not including scope etc). There seems to be a huge selection available, what type and barrel configuration would people suggest? I'm thinking semi auto and possibly the short (varmint) barrel but would consider bolt action if they are better, also not sure whether thumb hole is a good idea? I'm also wondering about composite, wood or laminate.

Ideas on makes and models would be appreciated, I will be buying new and don't what SH. Browning, Brno. Ruger, CZ , all in budget but if I can spend less I will if there is no reduction on quality

This will be a rabbit and general vermin rifle and very much a tool

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CZ 452/455 without question. :good: Varmint barrels aren't shorter, they are heavier, designed to put a lot of rounds downrange in a short time, but with a rimfire it really isn't necessary.

I'd go for the American version. In fact I did!

Thumbholes are down to personal taste (not mine).

CZ 452/455 without question. :good: Varmint barrels aren't shorter, they are heavier, designed to put a lot of rounds downrange in a short time, but with a rimfire it really isn't necessary.

I'd go for the American version. In fact I did!

Thumbholes are down to personal taste (not mine).

Thanks, I'm glad I asked, funny what shops tell you... What is the advantage of a varmint barrel on .22lr, I guess more stable as heavier?

Thanks, I'm glad I asked, funny what shops tell you... What is the advantage of a varmint barrel on .22lr, I guess more stable as heavier?

IMO there's no advantage in having one on a rimfire. It's just heavier to carry round but zero difference in accuracy. I see the point if you are target shooting with a centrefire as the barrel doesn't heat up as quickly.

The stock material is also personal choice. I have some synthetic stock guns and some wood. I prefer synthetic just because I don't have to worry about knocking or scratching it. The only laminate one I've seen was quite heavy and again, I don't see the point if it's going to be a rabbit gun.

I have a custom Ruger 10/22 short barrelled and I have just bought a Anschutz as well this one is going to be a dedicated night vision rifle. The Ruger is great in the Landrover and with the short barrel very pointable and there is still something of the kid in my when I can put lots of shots at targets very quickly.

i have cz 452 sillhouette no varmint barrel, absolute superb accuracy and consistent, i put remmy subs through mine.has a laminate stock (a plastic fantastic as i have heard others call it) i have put thousands of rounds through it and have no complaints as of many users and walshie and browning say. Elvis if you are not to far from me say 30 mile i will come over with my 452 and you can have a look just to give you and idea. just happy to help you out with no favours..

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

I have the CZ452 American with a 14" barrel and a Hawke scope + SAK moderator all up weight of around 7lbs and it's a very accurate piece of kit.

Likes Winchester 42gr, the rabbit's don't.

With a bipod or window rest stability is not a problem so the lighter weight over the heavy barrel speaks volumes if out in the field all day.

I'd second what Walshie says.

The varmint barrel is much heavier as is the thumb hole laminate Stock on the CZ455 at least.

I wish I hadn't bought new as I could have saved half of what I spent but didn't know how easy it was to find decent s/h.

Try Rabbitbosher and see what he's got ?

I have the cz 455 laminate thumb hole varmint with barrel and i just fitted the Yo Dave trigger kit. It just feels so right in my hands very pointable and whilst it may be a tad heavier (not tested personally) its the lightest gun that i get to carry.

Brno would be my choice, with a trigger kit!! Then you would have more to spend on the scope

This.

The older BRNO .22 rifles are much nicer than the CZ stuff....better build quality.

Pick up a 2nd hand model 2 (or model 1) - dozens out there at well under £200; normally with scopes & moderators.

The model 2 I had for 30 years only went to free a slot for a model 1.

i have cz 452 sillhouette no varmint barrel, absolute superb accuracy and consistent, i put remmy subs through mine.has a laminate stock (a plastic fantastic as i have heard others call it) i have put thousands of rounds through it and have no complaints as of many users and walshie and browning say. Elvis if you are not to far from me say 30 mile i will come over with my 452 and you can have a look just to give you and idea. just happy to help you out with no favours..

atb

7diaw

That's really kind, thanks, but I'm about 4.5.hrs from you! Thanks for your advice.