Carrying rabbits

Hi lads how do you carry your shot rabbits i was out again tonight shot 10 rabbits local hotel wants them the permision i have is a good walk back to motor and thay get ruddy heavy after about 3 miles i am 69 years of age and its bloody hard work

Any addvice would be welcome i put them in a bag over my shoulder been doing it lije this for years but age is telling on me.

I use a 10 bunny carrier more or less the same as  one “hunters vermin “ has made on his you tube channel, except i just used a leather dog lead instead of all the stitching he does , other than that type string mesh bags into your search engine ,good luck

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, years ago i bought some of these, FISHING LOCK BUCKLES, check out on aliexpress, there are 2 sizes, packs of 5, made of stainless steel with a length of rope, if you hock them you can use these gadgets to thread through legs and clip secure, not sure how to put a link. 

hello, they are about $5 for 5 buckles posted

Get a Roesack ,some fold upto nothing when empty and have a removable washable liner ideal for your needs ,dont pay 100 quid for a Harkila though there,s plenty of a.n.other brands on the bay of evil .Mine was 30 quid or have a look on Gumtree or Freeadds there,s always lots of shooting goodies second hand atb

I always struggled when carrying numbers back to the vehicle, but now my majority of rabbits are shot from a vehicle into which they’re just chucked after gutting.

Definitely paunch them in the field ( I dont care how much they bleed, they’re much lighter ) and while I used to string them along my shooting stick once hocked, they can slide about and once unbalanced it’s a pain. A good rucksack with a washable liner is the way to go in my opinion.  

Bit random but i bought a kid's sledge, only used it a few times as we no longer have very many rabbits.

Not really decided if a good thing or not, i tend to leave it and work in a circle back to it dumping rabbits into it before going of again.

3 miles is a long carry, ur either looking to spread load easier more evenly so rucksack or stick with rabbits legs done

Or take the wieght of u altogther so some sort of 1/2 wheeled barrow or a sledge. With the sledge u could adapt strings so if fits on ur shoulder and not pulling it with ur hands all the way.

But even pushing a barrow 3 miles will get tiring.

Ur other option is buying a quad??

8 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Sounds to me like you need a highland pony ?

send Ben the jockey a message I’m sure he’ll know of one ?

Bit short on pack ponies at the minute and was really kicking myself the other day for not having any to sell when I saw some estate in the highlands advertising for a pair of ponies! 

I’ve been a bit short on rabbits for a while but if the road kills are anything to go by the rabbity spots are getting up to good numbers again. Once all the first cut has gone I’ll be out looking to see again. I normally have a handful of S hooks in my pocket, hang as many as I can per hook and then hang them on a highish branch so that passing cows can’t knock them off their perch and they’re high enough to avoid feeding the foxes and badgers whilst I’m wandering around. I grab them on the way home and either carry them on the hooks or chuck them in a ruck sack if I’m going on further. 

I use a diver's goody bag which is basically a strong mesh drawstring sack. I attach a carabiner between one corner of the mesh and the drawstring and it goes across my shoulders. I like it because it folds down to pocket size, it's comfortable and can go in the washing machine after each trip.   

On 27/05/2018 at 10:56, timmytree said:

I  paunch in the field, then hock them and thread them up the shooting sticks and carry the lot on my shoulder. balance the weight back and front and its easy.

Always the way did it 70yrs ago and still works today. 5ft  hazel rod which you can use as a shooting stick as well. As said on your shoulder job done.

DSCF1934 (800x600).jpg

Get a quad bike, even a cheap light weight two wheel drive 125cc, three miles across country with gun and rabbits at your age will be very tiring. You will carry some of them longer than three miles unless you leave and collect on way back.