Jega

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

Not picking on you personally but I think this is a common misunderstanding.

Vaccination doesn't prevent infection; it's not a forcefield stopping the virus getting in to your body.  Vaccination just means your body's got a pre-loaded battle plan so it can start fighting off the virus straight away, because it isn't learning from scratch how to attack that particular virus.   Unless I'm behind the times, up until now medical experts have been saying that they are unsure as to whether a vaccinated person could still transmit the virus or not.  I wouldn't chance it by presuming a vaccinated person is unable to be infectious, therefore doing the youngsters first still leaves the vulnerable.... vulnerable.

Therefore it is illogical to "vaccinate the young so they can get on with their lives".  The whole point is to vaccinate according to the demographics; to prioritise the groups who are statistically most likely to die or become seriously ill.  The younger generation can still get on with their lives, unvaccinated, safe in the knowledge that it would be a 1 in several million shot if they were to snuff it from covid.

I asked the question of a virologist and they told me once you have had the vaccine you no longer transmit

11 minutes ago, button said:

I asked the question of a virologist and they told me once you have had the vaccine you no longer transmit

Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

• practice social distancing
  • wear a face mask
  • wash your hands carefully and frequently
  • follow the current guidance

From GOV.UK………..

7 hours ago, KB1 said:

Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

• practice social distancing
  • wear a face mask
  • wash your hands carefully and frequently
  • follow the current guidance

From GOV.UK………..

I prefer the Government Guidance, rather than someone else, whose credentials and responsibilities are unknown. It seems common sense that if you touch a contaminated surface and the virus transfers to your hands you can touch another surface or person and pass it on. It doesn’t seem logical that a shot in the arm can stop you simply transferring the virus, by touch. Time will tell.

Edited by Fisheruk

On 09/01/2021 at 18:36, salmonrod said:

my dad is 88 my mom 85 they have not been contacted yet .have see people in there early 70s having their jabs.

Thats happened to my MIL, she's 91 and hasn't heard anything but her neighbour next door but one (mid 70s I would guess) gets hers this week. They both go to the same surgery. My OH is going to try and phone the surgery this morning.

8 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

I prefer the Government Guidance, rather than someone else, whose credentials and responsibilities are unknown. It seems common sense that if you touch a contaminated surface and the virus transfers to your hands you can touch another surface or person and pass it on. It doesn’t seem logical that a shot in the arm can stop you simply transferring the virus, by touch. Time will tell.

A vaccinated person can 100% transfer the virus to somebody else by touch.

Where I live the doctors haven't given one jab yet, they are expecting to start in the next couple of weeks 🙄. Where Mrs bluesj works 10 miles away has been going full steam from day 1, the inlaws have had both jabs, my olds have had their first today and mrs bluesj had her first a couple of weeks ago.

I got a text from NHS England yesterday offering me 3diferent days with diferent times and a link to open , but I didn't have the  Tech or the savy to open it on my phone ,  my wife who is more savy about this stuff sent the link to her phone and opened it ,in the short space of time it took all the earlier times had gone  but I did manage to get booked in for sunday ,the thing that concerns me is alot of older people will not be able to sort it and will miss out , why do NHS England assume all mobiles are I phones ! 

I'm nearly 82 and my invalide wife is 85 in April.  I am her carer.  We have heard nothing.   87 year old up the road - ditto - zilch.

I don't now anyone in the local area who has been jabbed.

We have no information and are told not to contact our GP.   (One friend is 93 and, as far as I know, he has not been done yet either).

Then I read the above posts - Not a happy man.

Daily Telegraph tells me that in Cambridge they were going to jab all the council workers especially those working in nurseries.

I thought they told us it was the over eighties who were most at risk.

Couldn't organise a PU if they owned a brewery.

2 minutes ago, Diver One said:

My 89 year old mum was told she could go to Timperley for her jab.......only a 100 mile round trip! As her/my doctors is "not yet on the website."

im on the ECV list and have heard nothing yet

My Mum lives in Burbage and was offered Birmingham but within a week now has a local jab organised. Apparently vaccine supply will now be prioritised to areas that are slipping behind. Hopefully that's just because of volumes of patients rather than performance issues. 

Well, we just rang our surgery and asked, next morning had a call from them booking us in for Tuesday, still in the same practise but about 25min drive(we live on one side of the practise and the relevant surgery was on the far side hence the short drive.). Very well organised and given a date in March and time for our second shot. Couldn't fault it. 

I do think that certain priority personel should get their jabs up front BUT who do you consider priority ?   Difficult decision.   It takes longer to issue and sign the paperwork than actual administer the jab...5 seconds at most. 

3 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

How do they know how to contact you?

I don't think they have my number and I am not even sure who "they" are. Haven't seen a doctor in decades and the last one I saw has retired anyway.

You will live within a Practise, find out which and give them a call.  If you suddenly had a medical problem tomorrow you would have to anyway.  Doesn't matter how often or not you have seen a doctor.

Edited by Walker570

14 hours ago, 39TDS said:

How do they know how to contact you?

I don't think they have my number and I am not even sure who "they" are. Haven't seen a doctor in decades and the last one I saw has retired anyway.

As long as you are registered with a GP practice they will call you or write to you.   If you are not registered with a doctor then do it now.

Had a text last week from my GP - telling me not to contact the Practice for an appointment, as either I would get a letter from the NHS or one from my GP.

Went for my annual blood test yesterday. The nurse asked if I had made an appointment for the vaccine. I told her that the text told me to await contact. She asked if I wanted the vaccine. I said I did and she asked when I wanted it. I said the quicker the better. She offered me an appointment for today and I asked about one for my wife. She gave me two appointments in Ramsbottom - a couple of miles away - 2.05pm Ramsbottom Health Centre. I remain confused about the proper procedure, but am not complaining.

Attended the centre today to find it was shut. No-one in the building. I had driven past a sign for Covid test Centre. I then proceeded there. Two males in a portacabin, at the entrance of a large and completely empty car park. I asked if this was the vaccination centre. English was not their first language and they could not direct me to the correct place. I was pointed in the direction of the town centre. I was getting just a bit fed up, but headed towards the centre. A couple of women in the street told me it was in the Civic Centre, which I had just driven past. There was no signage, until I drove up the side of it. Small car park with a couple of people giving information. After about a ten minute wait - got to the desk. Couple of minutes to answer some questions, which were then repeated by the doctor. 

He was called Mus and had a sense of humour. He expertly jabbed me and my wife and said "another microchip inserted". I did laugh, but advised him to be careful who he said that too. I said my youngest might have gripped his throat. We had a quick friendly chat. He said he was fed up with friends, outside the NHS, talking about conspiracy theories and DNA altering vaccines. Given the urgency of the situation, we did not speak for long, but he impressed me. 

It must be disheartening for NHS to face the accusations and ridicule. 

5 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Had a text last week from my GP - telling me not to contact the Practice for an appointment, as either I would get a letter from the NHS or one from my GP.

Went for my annual blood test yesterday. The nurse asked if I had made an appointment for the vaccine. I told her that the text told me to await contact. She asked if I wanted the vaccine. I said I did and she asked when I wanted it. I said the quicker the better. She offered me an appointment for today and I asked about one for my wife. She gave me two appointments in Ramsbottom - a couple of miles away - 2.05pm Ramsbottom Health Centre. I remain confused about the proper procedure, but am not complaining.

Attended the centre today to find it was shut. No-one in the building. I had driven past a sign for Covid test Centre. I then proceeded there. Two males in a portacabin, at the entrance of a large and completely empty car park. I asked if this was the vaccination centre. English was not their first language and they could not direct me to the correct place. I was pointed in the direction of the town centre. I was getting just a bit fed up, but headed towards the centre. A couple of women in the street told me it was in the Civic Centre, which I had just driven past. There was no signage, until I drove up the side of it. Small car park with a couple of people giving information. After about a ten minute wait - got to the desk. Couple of minutes to answer some questions, which were then repeated by the doctor. 

He was called Mus and had a sense of humour. He expertly jabbed me and my wife and said "another microchip inserted". I did laugh, but advised him to be careful who he said that too. I said my youngest might have gripped his throat. We had a quick friendly chat. He said he was fed up with friends, outside the NHS, talking about conspiracy theories and DNA altering vaccines. Given the urgency of the situation, we did not speak for long, but he impressed me. 

It must be disheartening for NHS to face the accusations and ridicule. 

Sounds a bit of a random ordeal. Good news is you have got the first jab :good:

My daughter has now been called to a new covid itu ward in Coventry to service overflow from London and Birmingham. What happened to the Nightingales?

I was told a couple of weeks ago that all invites would come from the NHS - I seem to remember London being mentioned. I was a bit surprised to then get a text from my GP. I was more surprised to be just offered one, whilst on an unrelated visit. There was almost an implication that I should have already made a booking. Just how you do that, I do not know.

Given that the situation is changing almost on a daily basis, I wasn't overly concerned. The main thing is that the vaccination process seems to be gathering speed.

I have to say that the staff in the Vaccine Centre were first class. Considering the pressure they were under, staff morale seemed high - all very friendly and helpful.