Snow ?

islandgun

24 minutes ago, Westley said:

Did they close the schools  ??     🤣

No snow in Merseyside.............unless its been nicked overnight  !

We had about 1 inch at best this morning and whilst driving to work the radio presenter announced they were waiting to see which schools were closed, ridiculous !

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving in snow and ice is a whole, new, different ball game  !   You need to treble your forward vision and make your decisions and actions a lot sooner than in dry conditions. I quote from the Police drivers bible here, but I have it ingrained on my brain, "There are THREE causes of skidding :-

1)  Excess speed.

2) Course steering.

3) Harsh acceleration or braking.

It has to be remembered that the average driver has had little or no experience of driving in snow or ice, if they have passed their test in the last 10 years (possibly more), due to the lack of any really hard weather. Driving in bad conditions requires a lot of accelerator control to avoid incidents, judging by the increased speeds at which people are driving, they know very little about a light right foot  !

2 hours ago, Westley said:

Driving in snow and ice is a whole, new, different ball game  !   You need to treble your forward vision and make your decisions and actions a lot sooner than in dry conditions. I quote from the Police drivers bible here, but I have it ingrained on my brain, "There are THREE causes of skidding :-

1)  Excess speed.

2) Course steering.

3) Harsh acceleration or braking.

It has to be remembered that the average driver has had little or no experience of driving in snow or ice, if they have passed their test in the last 10 years (possibly more), due to the lack of any really hard weather. Driving in bad conditions requires a lot of accelerator control to avoid incidents, judging by the increased speeds at which people are driving, they know very little about a light right foot  !

Also a lot of modern tyres are absolutely useless in the snow. In particular the low profile types.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Also a lot of modern tyres are absolutely useless in the snow. In particular the low profile types.

A lot of modern drivers are as good as the tyres then  !  Once the wheels start to spin, keeping your foot on the gas is a waste of time, it just compacts and polishes the snow beneath those useless tyres.

I've ran all season tyres for the last 4 years on both cars. Won't go back to summer tyres. Much better on cold mornings, snow, ice mud and in the wet. The few hot days we have aren't worth the remaining 7 months. 

Even the 2 wheel drive jazz made it up a steep hill with a range rover and kuga couldn't get up. 

Watching the news and all the talk of terrible weather, with folks walking around in snow not even covering the soles of shoes. How did we manage years ago when it was up to your knees, we must have been super kids back then, or early bionic man. 

Oh no Aviemore got an inch. 

I think this might be my last post for some time, with this terrible weather coming in i can see me getting stuck at work tomorrow. 

We're all doomed. 

38 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Watching the news and all the talk of terrible weather, with folks walking around in snow not even covering the soles of shoes. How did we manage years ago when it was up to your knees, we must have been super kids back then, or early bionic man. 

I think this might be my last post for some time, with this terrible weather coming in i can see me getting stuck at work tomorrow. 

We're all doomed. 

You sound like Scott in the Antartic Dougy , and you are not taking these warnings seriously enough :lol:

We haven't had hardly a flake of snow , one or two very fine bits but that's just about it , very cold mind you but with a cold North Easterly wind , living on the East coast then it's something you just put up with , t b h , who on earth take any notice of these Yellow weather warnings ? , trouble is they issue that many of these warnings it have now got to the stage they no longer have any clout :drinks:

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You sound like Scott in the Antartic Dougy , and you are not taking these warnings seriously enough 

Winter of 82 i walked 7 miles to work, 1 cop car passed me on the A38 and about 6 cars, i got to work on time, cold but on time. 

Thats what you did, thats what was expected of most of us wasnt it ???

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

We're all doomed. 

In my area, on the edge of SE London/NW Kent we hardly had anything either,,,, just a sprinkling which the rain soon washed away 🙈 But,,,, on the BBC London news they were reporting that "people in Brixton were waking up to a blizzard !!!"

Then they cut to a shot of people coming out of Brixton station and walking out into,,,,,,, a very slight smattering of what looked like sleet or wet snow, NOT a blizzard,,,, very far from it !!! 😆🤣

It is quite cold though 🙂😅

34 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Winter of 82 i walked 7 miles to work, 1 cop car passed me on the A38 and about 6 cars, i got to work on time, cold but on time. 

Thats what you did, thats what was expected of most of us wasnt it

In 82 I was wrapped up in a pram 😂

Snowed all day here and it’s finally settling. 

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I’m running insa turbos 😂 . I assume they’ll work in the snow tbh . My van is useless tho on high economy thingys