The joy of EV?

old man

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Always makes me smile when i see electric cars being loaded onto a (dirty old diesel artic) to be delivered to site from the docks i go to.  Over at North Killingholme vehicle storage area there are literally thousands of electric cars just sat there, mainly Volvos, they don't seem to move from 1 week to the next.

S

Edited by scobydog

18 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Always makes me smile when i see electric cars being loaded onto a (dirty old diesel artic) to be delivered to site from the docks i go to.  Over at North Killingholme vehicle storage area there are literally thousands of electric cars just sat there, mainly Volvos, they don't seem to move from 1 week to the next.

S

No one wants them thy are useless.

They are not for everyone and those who don't have a home charger will face very high running costs. 

My eldest has a Mercedes EQC400 for short distance motoring and a V Class Mercedes for holidays or long distance.

He is a real fan of his electric car - 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and 402bhp. Mercedes claimed range is optimistic. My lad say about 190 compared to Mercedes claim of 255 and a lot less with wipers, air con and headlights on.

I personally wouldn't have one - the cost being a factor and resale value.

2 hours ago, scobydog said:

S

A number of shipping companies have stopped taking them because of the fire risk.

7 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

A number of shipping companies have stopped taking them because of the fire risk.

Surprising as the fire risk is far less for ev's than petrol and diesel vehicles. 

40 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

And don't forget the big "dirty" power stations producing the electricity to run the EV'S

Or the solar fields and wind turbines.

25 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

They are not for everyone and those who don't have a home charger will face very high running costs. 

My eldest has a Mercedes EQC400 for short distance motoring and a V Class Mercedes for holidays or long distance.

He is a real fan of his electric car - 0-60 in less than 5 seconds and 402bhp. Mercedes claimed range is optimistic. My lad say about 190 compared to Mercedes claim of 255 and a lot less with wipers, air con and headlights on.

I personally wouldn't have one - the cost being a factor and resale value.

I watched some long range ev journey review and the cost of charging up Tesla at Tesla points was the current wholesale electric price. A big difference from that for others. 

I would certainly have one as a second car, particularly if I livwed in a rural location without ready access to fossil fuel. Probably buy it second hand as there are some bargains to be had (or at least they look to be). 

2 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

No one wants them thy are useless.

There is certainly an issue with traditional manufacturers selling them (VW and Audi in particular) as some of the newer brands are maybe better value. I would not buy Chinese so Volvo is out for a start. 

9 hours ago, scobydog said:

S

Ironically behind the two oil refineries 😂 

One of my shooting mates works for a big insurance company - they have their own massive repair shops. He says that all EV's are repaired on a rubber mat, with insulated tools. There is a definite risk of death from a shock. They have insulated hooks to pull colleagues away from a vehicle, when they are getting a shock.

Repair costs are very, very high.

Got to love the negative attitude towards EV vehicles from those who don’t own one.
I love mine, the linear acceleration, or being preconditioned before my morning journey so I get into a defrosted and warmed vehicle with seats n steering wheel all cosy. 

Cost wise, I charge at home on an intelligent tariff for only 7.5p per KWH for six hours overnight. Best part, that’s for the whole house and not just the car. So with our ASHP and all washing machine/dishwasher etc set to come on then, I’m laughing. Better still, I get this low tariff at other times of the day too sometimes. 
My running costs have been half of my ICE vehicle was.

I have done some long journeys and only once had a prob with one of the public chargers and never queued for one either. 

Did I tell you about the 562hp shove too? Insurance wise, almost the same as I was paying for my Navarra and with my insurance renewal in a few months, it’s only going up by a small amount, so that poo poo’s a few other statements made. 

29 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Got to love the negative attitude towards EV vehicles from those who don’t own one.
I love mine, the linear acceleration, or being preconditioned before my morning journey so I get into a defrosted and warmed vehicle with seats n steering wheel all cosy. 

Cost wise, I charge at home on an intelligent tariff for only 7.5p per KWH for six hours overnight. Best part, that’s for the whole house and not just the car. So with our ASHP and all washing machine/dishwasher etc set to come on then, I’m laughing. Better still, I get this low tariff at other times of the day too sometimes. 

I have done some long journeys and only once had a prob with one of the public chargers and never queued for one either. 

Did I tell you about the 562hp shove too? Insurance wise, almost the same as I was paying for my Navarra and with my insurance renewal in a few months, it’s only going up by a small amount, so that poo poo’s a few other statements made. 

I couldn’t agree more.

I love mine too.

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I have to ask tho . Is it boring ? No character? 
I miss 2 stroke bikes , I miss a manual gear box in my diesel van so couldn’t imagine having no character. 
vans are a long way off ready from what I’ve seen with 50-80 mile ranges . The new transit looks like it’s improving but my mates are driving 80-100k a year installing . 

genuine question👍

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I love mine, the linear acceleration.....Did I tell you about the 562hp shove too? 

Ultra-rapid acceleration in heavyweight vehicles sounds like a recipe for frequent tyre replacement and increased road repairs costs.  In other words, more fun for the EV drivers and higher taxation for the rest of the population.

Does ownership of an EV help to save the planet?

6 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Does ownership of an EV help to save the planet?

If you believe reducing carbon dioxide (CO2) production will help save the planet (and for me that is not a certainty), no.

If you want to reduce CO2, there are far more effective ways.

If we want to save help the planet, we need to think long term towards reducing the pressures on the whole environment;

• Lower population or at least stop it increasing - the planet isn't getting bigger, so it's a 'no brainer' that has to happen some time.
  • Use less 'new mined/drilled/dug up' resources and recycle more
  • Use resources more thoughtfully (i.e. less wastage)
  • Allow more plant area/forest/green spaces - as these capture CO2.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

f we want to save help the planet, we need to think long term towards reducing the pressures on the whole environment;

• Lower population or at least stop it increasing - the planet isn't getting bigger, so it's a 'no brainer' that has to happen some time.
  • This^^^ is the main one
  • Use less 'new mined/drilled/dug up' resources and recycle more
  • Then This^^^
  • Use resources more thoughtfully (i.e. less wastage)
  • Example - A paper sack uses circa 20 times the power and resources to produce than a polythene one and PE is multi use and recyclable 
  • Allow more plant area/forest/green spaces - as these capture CO2.
  • Not likely until 1 and 2 are addressed.

Notes on each in red

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

I have to ask tho . Is it boring ? No character? 
I miss 2 stroke bikes , I miss a manual gear box in my diesel van so couldn’t imagine having no character. 
vans are a long way off ready from what I’ve seen with 50-80 mile ranges . The new transit looks like it’s improving but my mates are driving 80-100k a year installing . 

genuine question👍

Mines a Peugeot Partner and I get 120-130 miles per charge and could get more if I drove it a bit slower. We also have a couple of Peugeot Experts and they are turning out 170 per charge, so we’ll over what you have been told. These are winter miles so much better in the summer.