Masks in gun shops

eddoakley

From Monday here in Wales the wearing of masks in shops becomes compulsory (because kung flu is taking this weekend off)

Had to call firearms department yesterday to ask whether the wearing of masks in a gun shop is acceptable or whether we would be exempt.

They, unsurprisingly, didn't have an answer. Like anything else covid related they said "read the guidelines" and completely refused to commit to an answer.

What's the thinking amongst the PW experts?

Masks required or masks unacceptable?

Edd

no-mask-please-this-is-a-gun-shop-we-shoot-people-with-masks-warning.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

One of my local RFDs has a buzzer door that is full toughened glass, he sees you before you get in, has been like that for years. I think what he's doing is ensuring he can see your face then you mask up and he lets you in. 

both  the gun shops I go to have those, I think its pretty standard these days. A lot of Jewellers have them too

22 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I bought carts a few days ago and they checked my licence with my mask on, ummmmmmmmmm

I walked away happy but did wonder how clever the guy was to be able to confirm it was my licence

I bought some from my local agricultural engineers last Wed. I had a mask on but she never even looked at my ticket! 🙂

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

I bought carts a few days ago and they checked my licence with my mask on, ummmmmmmmmm

I walked away happy but did wonder how clever the guy was to be able to confirm it was my licence

🤣 I even had to take my mask off in Costco to renew my membership so they could check my photo! 

Went to pick up some 17hmr the other day and pulled on my camo full head cover balaclava. They have a camera outside so the one guy behind the counter knew it was me and released the gate lock and I burst round the corner with a loud BOOOO!! They all jumped about 3ft in the air and collapsed laughing.  To be fair any gunshop without that sort of security has to be an exception. They need to be able to see who the potential customer is.  I would have thought that all gunshops would/should have security cameras inside and out.

Depends what you mean by “don’t need a certificate” - you don’t have to be granted a SGC just have access to one. 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/section/5

Subsection 5(2) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 states that a person can only purchase shotgun cartridge if he “produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such 
a gun together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf”. 

The 1988 Act May have been superseded but in my layman’s mind I will go with that until shown other legislation. 

Full text:

(1)This section applies to ammunition to which section 1 of the principal Act does not apply and which is capable of being used in a shot gun or in a smooth-bore gun to which that section applies.

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell any such ammunition to another person in the United Kingdom who is neither a registered firearms dealer nor a person who sells such ammunition by way of trade or business unless that other person—

(a)produces a certificate authorising him to possess a gun of a kind mentioned in subsection (1) above; or

(b)shows that he is by virtue of that Act or this Act entitled to have possession of such a gun without holding a certificate; or

(c)produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

(3)An offence under this section shall be punishable on summary conviction with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Depends what you mean by “don’t need a certificate” - you don’t have to be granted a SGC just have access to one. 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/45/section/5

Subsection 5(2) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 states that a person can only purchase shotgun cartridge if he “produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such 
a gun together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf”. 

The 1988 Act May have been superseded but in my layman’s mind I will go with that until shown other legislation. 

Full text:

(1)This section applies to ammunition to which section 1 of the principal Act does not apply and which is capable of being used in a shot gun or in a smooth-bore gun to which that section applies.

(2)It is an offence for a person to sell any such ammunition to another person in the United Kingdom who is neither a registered firearms dealer nor a person who sells such ammunition by way of trade or business unless that other person—

(a)produces a certificate authorising him to possess a gun of a kind mentioned in subsection (1) above; or

(b)shows that he is by virtue of that Act or this Act entitled to have possession of such a gun without holding a certificate; or

(c)produces a certificate authorising another person to possess such a gun, together with that person’s written authority to purchase the ammunition on his behalf.

(3)An offence under this section shall be punishable on summary conviction with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

Thanks Walkedup.