Load Shedding is coming (probably), how will you prepare?

udderlyoffroad

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got 2 bottles of gas in the garage and a unit from a caravan that has two rings and a grill on it and theres our camping stove with all the pots and pans in the shed . Being honest im no worried about a power cut as i find im on my laptop a lot less and when my phone rings i need to go looking for it as i just leave it lying anywhere now and went back to reading books 

I've modified the lid of a cheap garden incinerator - rolled up newspapers which her indoors insists on still buying adds to the junk mail kindling. I can gather dry felled wood all over a couple of shooting perms to go with the 3" fence posts I've been saving for a rainy day so to speak.

Wifey hates any attempts at saving gas or electric and thinks I'm obsessing about it all.. 

Incinerator.JPG

I've got a kelly kettle so hot water sorted for coffee or or cupa soup and a couple of gas lanterns, I'm thinking that it will be power out for hours rather than days.

But just in case i have a some camping stoves 1 gas with about a dozen cylinders 2 petrol a single and a double burner plus a couple of trangias. Just in case it gets cold there are four or five sleeping bags in the loft and if it gets really bad a tent that i can pitch in front of the log burner and enough logs to last the winter.

We've got the log burner and open fire , and enough logs for two winters if we're careful.  We have a 7 litre kettle that'll live on top of the log burner,  so that we have plenty of hot water , and a cast iron cooking pot . We have a solar panel and a very large battery , to charge phones , lights etc , We have two inverters if needed, that would run lins workshop(she has her diesel night heater in there) , we have portable usb rechargeable lights , and a usb rechargeable shower . I have an old fashioned cast iron iron ( shed be chuffed about using that )😄 , we have a Kelly kettle , and several camping cookers , and we have enough stored food to get us through a couple of months if things got really bad.

By far the biggest weapon in the armoury , is that we have no fear of a little bit of hardship.  We're completely sorted , and are in a position to be able to help family , if help is needed.

My main concern at the moment,  is that asda have run out of cheap toilet roll , and from tomorrow morning,  I will have to use the horrible soft quilted stuff.

Edited to add.

As most of us on here are pretty outdoorsy,  and old enough , and wise enough , to figure out basic survival. I wouldn't imagine that the odd powercut,  and hefty gas bill , will bother us too much 👍.

Edited by mel b3

58 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

We've got the log burner and open fire , and enough logs for two winters if we're careful.  We have a 7 litre kettle that'll live on top of the log burner,  so that we have plenty of hot water , and a cast iron cooking pot . We have a solar panel and a very large battery , to charge phones , lights etc , We have two inverters if needed, that would run lins workshop(she has her diesel night heater in there) , we have portable usb rechargeable lights , and a usb rechargeable shower . I have an old fashioned cast iron iron ( shed be chuffed about using that )😄 , we have a Kelly kettle , and several camping cookers , and we have enough stored food to get us through a couple of months if things got really bad.

By far the biggest weapon in the armoury , is that we have no fear of a little bit of hardship.  We're completely sorted , and are in a position to be able to help family , if help is needed.

My main concern at the moment,  is that asda have run out of cheap toilet roll , and from tomorrow morning,  I will have to use the horrible soft quilted stuff.

Edited to add.

As most of us on here are pretty outdoorsy,  and old enough , and wise enough , to figure out basic survival. I wouldn't imagine that the odd powercut,  and hefty gas bill , will bother us too much 👍.

If I get really desperate, I can fire up the oil Aga...

Think I might bring the rocket stove and some more wood back next time I go down the woodland. Got a generator. Camping gas cooker. 2 different portable gas heaters and 4x 6kg, 1x 7kg and 1x 3.9kg gas cylinders. Unless mains gas goes off I have a gas cooker in the kitchen. Got back up batteries for the phones and a battery powered shower.

I can always put another dog on the bed too.

11 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Think I might bring the rocket stove and some more wood back next time I go down the woodland. Got a generator. Camping gas cooker. 2 different portable gas heaters and 4x 6kg, 1x 7kg and 1x 3.9kg gas cylinders. Unless mains gas goes off I have a gas cooker in the kitchen. Got back up batteries for the phones and a battery powered shower.

A hairy water bottle 😄.

9 hours ago, Stonepark said:

if you don't already have one, now is the time to purchase, before the rush starts!

Too late.

I have been looking for a replacement generator for some time for work and most models you look at say not in stock across most of the sellers.

43 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Gas and gas bottles, I expect will end up in short supply, I have a petrol dual burner Coleman 424 stove, fleabay is a good place to pick them up second hand.

1 minute ago, Cranfield said:

Like many others on here, I remember the planned power cuts, 3 day week, petrol rationing, etc , etc in the past.
My family all survived then, despite making no special arrangements.
We will all survive again.

Totally agree. I think those who may find it the hardest are those who seem to think that if they have to put on a thick jumper in their own homes during winter they're  suffering some kind of hardship. 

I work in many houses of the younger generation who think it is perfectly normal to have their houses heated to a constant 20 odd degrees throughout the year. My old Dad would crack open a bedroom window before getting into bed, regardless of whether it was +20 or -10. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Rural life in the 40s and 50s, no electricity plumbing was one cold tap cooking on open fire and paraffin stove.  With a two burner camping stove I may just survive but unfortunately no longer live in a house with a kitchen range.

Blackpowder.

those parafeen heaters do kick out heat ...but are self defeating as you must leave a window open as they produce soooo much water vapour

23 hours ago, Scully said:

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s, I can handle it. 🙂

This.  IF there are cuts (and it is by no means certain) then if I remember last time they were 'up to 3 hours', and you knew when you were at risk (by area).  It didn't always happen.  Key thing is that things like freezers are absolutely fine to endure 3 hours power outage, and most houses can endure 3 hours heating free without freezing the occupants.

So if you believe there may be a cut, fill a flask so you have a hot drink, do anything you need good light for, charge things ready.  There are loads of decent long lived rechargeable LED lamps.  In the limit I do have a Kelly kettle and keep a bucket of suitable fuel dry in the garage.

The difference these days is that many will have routers that need mains power; I suspect that with a little ingenuity, a float charged battery could be added to the low voltage DC supply powering the router.  Not looked into it, but seems a reasonable possibility to give the router backup.

This might be of interest - hot off .gov.uk. Details arrangements for protected sites and a variable rota for the disconnection of load blocks. Hope for level 1 not level 18.   https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electricity-supply-emergency-code your block letter is normally at the top of your electricity bill.

There is some good news though to offset our woeful shortage of hydrocarbon storage and refinery capacity in this country:

With the usual far-sightedness of our elected representatives (regardless of party), having failed to stump up maintenance costs for the Rough field gas storage facility in 2017 (about 70% of UK gas storage ability) ministers have now **** themselves enough to give the nod for Centrica to reopen it.  In 2017 showing their in-depth understanding of geopolitical influences officials at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said they were neither surprised nor worried by the loss of Rough, arguing that the market had coped well without it over the past year.

Also Stublach (used to be Byley? - they keep renaming these sites) is now fully on-line I think https://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com/projects/stublach-gas-storage-project/ I'm not sure of this site's relationship to the former GPSS oil storage site just to the SE of Plumley - it may be the same site as the whole area between Byley and Plumley is riddled with hydrocarbon storage facilities. I know there was an oil recovery project at the GPSS site which might have cleared the way for the caverns to be reused for gas. Basically the idea was to recover a huge tonnage of old oil stored since the '50's I believe and to try to process it. The project has been halted now. https://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/news/11706894.construction-work-at-oil-storage-site-set-to-begin-this-month/

http://csorp.net/

Edited by LeadWasp
spellink gon wrong