Dubbin

Dave at kelton

Just had a session tonight applying dubbin to the boots and leaving them in the kitchen where it is warm to help it soak in. It got me wondering with all the modern products available how many people still use this and if not what do you use to prevent the leather drying and cracking? I have tried many things including nikwax but always go back to the dubbin.

11 hours ago, RyanMc said:

Gold Label Dubbin Leather Waterproof : Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I use this, a tub lasts for years. Use it on all my boots and leather knife sheath. Any decent horse goods shop should have it too. Paint on with a small paint brush and leave to soak in overnight, then a does of polish.

Thanks just getting to the end of a tin of ex army so looking for a replacement 

I read (in The Field, if memory serves) that some of the old-time leather treatments can weaken the stitching in footwear, so whilst it’s good for the leather, it’s bad for the construction.  Most footwear isn’t built to last any more , so it’s not an issue.  

I use Ledergris on leather boots and Saphir polish on shoes. 

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Am I the only one who does not like Dubbin? I find it softens leather too much and takes the heart out of a good pair of leather boots. I say this after a lifetime of walking many thousands of miles in leather boots.

It does soften the leather, but I feel it conditions it and prevents waterlogging and crack of the leather. 

Climbing shops used to sell stuff called Snowseal or a similar name although I have not seen it in years, it could have been of American origin as it claimed to contain bear fat.   Found it really good for water proofing and keeping leather supply.   Two summers ago I used surplus to requirements Barbours wax on ex army boots smeared them well and left in greenhouse over a few hot days. Never leaked a drop over two shooting seasons.  Today dubbin and boot polish is  chosen method.

Blackpowder