Breakdown cover

Acerforestry

Normally searching for sensibly priced breakown policies wouldn't merit a post, but for the past couple of years trying to get cover that isn't OTT on the cost for a pickup seems a big ask, or i'm looking in the wrong places. I have an 07 plate Ranger pickup, a lot of companies now seem to want hundreds to cover it as its a commercial - it is, but I work locally and my annual miles won't be over 3k ish. If I'm driving a car and have a 100 mile a day commute, I'll pay a lot less. Where's the logic? Can anyone recommend cheap roadside recovery only policy, thanks

Edited by Acerforestry

2 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

Normally searching for sensibly priced breakown policies wouldn't merit a post, but for the past couple of years trying to get cover that isn't OTT on the cost for a pickup seems a big ask, or i'm looking in the wrong places. I have an 07 plate Ranger pickup, a lot of companies now seem to want hundreds to cover it as its a commercial - it is, but I work locally and my annual miles won't be over 3k ish. If I'm driving a car and have a 100 mile a day commute, I'll pay a lot less. Where's the logic? Can anyone recommend cheap roadside recovery only policy, thanks

Not sure if it's still going but Ford used to give a year breakdown cover if you got the vehicle serviced at a Ford outlet. Made a pricey service much more bearable if you factored in the breakdown cover.

On 28/01/2023 at 11:54, Good shot? said:

I have used the AA for the past 50 years and have today received a complimentary road atlas of the Uk from them.

I have used them 3 times without complaints in that period but do not want to be without cover so I have continued using them.

We were AA joint members for 25 yrs (gold members😂)and then they started to take the peeeee. The renewal price escalated but if I went on line to join as a new member the price was significantly less. Quick ‘phone call to point this out and the renewal reduced. Last year they wouldn’t drop the price enough so my wife let her joint membership lapse and I joined a joint membership. An RAC recruiter once said that AA stands for Always Absent. But for those times I’ve needed them they turned up trumps.

On 26/01/2023 at 21:13, billytheghillie said:

My account with Bank of Scotland covers me for breakdown service, mobile loss, and travel insurance, check out your bank.

Whatever you do, check the terms of that!  Usually thrown in breakdown cover doesn't include recovery home, just a tow to the nearest garage, and may not include commercials.

RAC do (or used to) give the option of joining after you’ve broken down subject to an additional payment, if you’re willing to risk it it may be a better option after years 2/3? 
e.g. never break down, never pay; compared to pay per year and never breakdown. 

Edited by Gu5

On 30/01/2023 at 10:27, Bigbob said:

Green flag great service cheaper than many and its the driver thats covered for the car your driving 

Been with them almost from inception. Always received good service. I do have the full Gold cover but not European. Have not a clue what it costs, just comforting to know it's there regardless of what vehicle I am driving.

On 30/01/2023 at 12:51, udderlyoffroad said:

Whatever you do, check the terms of that!  Usually thrown in breakdown cover doesn't include recovery home, just a tow to the nearest garage, and may not include commercials.

Ditto. I got one once and it only covered up to 10miles from home!

On 30/01/2023 at 10:27, Bigbob said:

Green flag great service cheaper than many and its the driver thats covered for the car your driving 

Hmm! Came back from five weeks in Nigeria that was meant to be but two weeks but was extended and the car wouldn't start with a pre-booked MoT due that day. Green Flag policy with "Home Start" but they wouldn't come out as the MoT was (by then expired). But they said they would have come out of it had broken down on the road and en route to the MoT even though the MoT still would have been expired. Weasel worded company I found and wouldn't recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have AA cover but their charges increased year on year so changed to RAC.

The only time that I’ve had to call them out, both due to user error and a flat battery, was once returning from holiday and leaving the interior light on at the airport. The last time was stupidly leaving the sidelights on whilst waiting for my wife who just had to ‘pop’ into a clothes shop and was her normal 3/4 of an hour. The RAC guy had a good sense of humour and convinced her that the flat battery was her fault being so long in the shops.🤣

OB