"Look", "Listen"

Cranfield

Has anyone else noticed the increase of the words "look", or "listen", at the beginning of a sentence in any discussion.
For me it started with Rio Fedinand in his football punditry some months ago, it then spread to other pundits, not only on TV, but also on the radio (TalkSport).
Now I am also hearing it on non sports discussions and news programme interviews.
Its like a "tic", often having no bearing on the conversation.

Additionally, here in Bristol (I cannot speak for elsewhere) many shop assistants finish the purchase with “that will be £2 then”. THEN ?why “then” has crept in to usage defeats me. It’s meaningless. I’m often tempted to say “ then what?” But I fear it would fall on stoney ground and appear rude - which isn’t me.

There is an awful lot of it about, I blame the Americans for continually spoiling the English language.

My pet hate is when you answer the phone at work, you get one of two American originated approaches.

1. Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, I work for XXXXXXXXXX XXX, How are you today? They then wait for you to answer, I am seriously considering giving them a short praise of my life! Eventually they get around to asking to speak to someone.

2. This one starts with the caller stating "Yor are speaking to XXXXXX XXXXXX from XXXXXXXXX XXX, how are you?"

The yanks have a lot to answer for, all this damned false concern for ones health and well being.

Invariably they are just "phishing" calls attempting to sell something we either do not want or already buy from another supplier.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I hate in when someone is asked a question and they reply by saying 'So' .....  .. .. .. .. 

Totally agree Steve, that`s one of my pet hates. That has become very common with some of the younger contestants on The Chase when asked what they do and what hobbies they have.

I used to smile when the elderly father of my son in law, when leaving, many said to him "See you later".

His reply was always the same. "No you won`t, I`m going home now. Perhaps I`ll see you sometime in the future". Good for him I thought.

OB

49 minutes ago, London Best said:

My pet hate word is “like”, repeated ad Infinitum several times in each sentence. 
I have a brother in law and a sister in law who are totally incapable of expressing theirselves without saying it.

Yes, I forgot about that annoying habit. I totally agree.

6 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I hate in when someone is asked a question and they reply by saying 'So' .....  .. .. .. .. 

That's my biggest linguistic irritant as well.  A conjunction is used to join two sentences into one ..... "Rain  was forecast so I wore a waterproof coat."

1 hour ago, London Best said:

My pet hate word is “like”, repeated ad Infinitum several times in each sentence. 
I have a brother in law and a sister in law who are totally incapable of expressing theirselves without saying it.

Whole conversations can be had with just three words, or so it appears. Like, literally and basically.

6 hours ago, holloway said:

Yes it drives me mad ,also people that say “yes no “ what’s that all about ?

The 'Yes' is the consideration of the question and the 'No' is the answer.

Was watching the news the other day and a teenage girl (i’m making the gender assumption) was talking. She must have used the word “Like”, ten times in a single sentence.

The English language is changing so quickly, it will be almost indecipherable in years to come.

I had to… like… turn the TV off, it was so…like… annoying 

38 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

Was watching the news the other day and a teenage girl (i’m making the gender assumption) was talking. She must have used the word “Like”, ten times in a single sentence.

The English language is changing so quickly, it will be almost indecipherable in years to come.

I had to… like… turn the TV off, it was so…like… annoying 

Like, I had to, like, turn the TV off like, it was so, like, annoying like.

(my sister in law’s version)

6 hours ago, London Best said:

1st person i heard using it all the time was David Beckham so i blame him .

12 hours ago, Bobba said:

Additionally, here in Bristol (I cannot speak for elsewhere) many shop assistants finish the purchase with “that will be £2 then”. THEN ?why “then” has crept in to usage defeats me. It’s meaningless. I’m often tempted to say “ then what?” But I fear it would fall on stoney ground and appear rude - which isn’t me.

Yeah but they add stuff on the end of words like a wheelbarrow morphs into wheelbarrow. And a Ford Cortina morphed into a Ford Cortinal.  

7 hours ago, London Best said:

It was a begger.. LIKE.  ..... SAID... I SAID.... she SAID.  ...CHARLEY BLOGGS SAID.   DO YOU FOLLOW..... THE THING BEING IS. .??  Again sport and entertainment for all. 

They're not doing harm to anyone .

And then there are the buckled words like  fruze == fuse .... ornaments become orderments   dressing gown === dressing gownd.  And the TV gives a brutiful film.

Edited by Minky

7 hours ago, London Best said:

I know exactly what you mean, drives me up the wall

12 hours ago, Bobba said:

Another Bristol thing is "Like" at the end of a sentence