Drones over Gatwick

defender

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

They can normally fly with one out.

To loose an engine suddenly - during take off (or landing)?    Far too risky.

8 hours ago, Munzy said:

Therefore I maintain the best thing to do is ensure that every airport has a shotgun at the ready and they blast these things out of the sky.

They are easily capable of staying out of range of a shotgun. 

44 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

They are easily capable of staying out of range of a shotgun. 

Yes of course they are... but eye witness reports from Gatwick said that it flew a few meters over a perimeter fence. The mobile phone footage from the terminal also shows it well within range of a shotgun.

Therefore whilst a drone obviously CAN fly out of range of a shotgun the question is, “Why can’t it be brought down with a shotgun when it IS in range?”.

Just now, Munzy said:

“Why can’t it be brought down with a shotgun when it IS in range?”

On a 1600 acre site, how many shotguns do you need to have a reasonable chance of it being in range?  Also I rather suspect that if the malicious perpetrators knew that they were safe say 100 yards from a person with a gun, it is not challenging for them to programme/fly to maintain that separation.  I'm not saying it can't be done - but it wouldn't have the odds in favour of a 'quick and easy result'.

On the Sky News website this is written

"Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft offered a £10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and charge of the drone operator."

So this man from the Sun website 

"Paul Motts says he saw a man in hi-vis clothing packing two craft into a rucksack before racing off on a bike"  may be in for a nice £10 K.

NINTCHDBPICT000457635456[1].jpg

Edited by sportsbob

20 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

what's the odds for the culprits having " Asperger's " or something similar?

Being "on the spectrum" shouldn't make a difference. If they were on the psychopath spectrum, it wouldn't make it OK to go around murdering people, so one of these excuses for behaving badly should have no bearing on them receiving the maximum possible sentence.

I hope the airport passengers sue them for everything they have on their release.

We were discussing this last night. The general view was that this could easily constitute International Air terrorism which would carry a very hefty jail sentence, possibly 20 years or more.

What ever happens they are going to make an example of them in a very big way to deter others doing the same

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

On a 1600 acre site, how many shotguns do you need to have a reasonable chance of it being in range? 

The runway is 2565m meters long, one Gun every 20m so at least 2 can have a shot, pegs just outside the perimeter wire so the Drone has to gain some height and you have a safe shot. You have to have a line n both sides so at least 2565x2/20=256.5.

Say 300, three eight hour shifts hour shifts= 1200.

Give that vacant peg at Sandringham on Boxing Day to the winner!

24 minutes ago, walshie said:

Being "on the spectrum" shouldn't make a difference. If they were on the psychopath spectrum, it wouldn't make it OK to go around murdering people, so one of these excuses for behaving badly should have no bearing on them receiving the maximum possible sentence.

I hope the airport passengers sue them for everything they have on their release.

who said it should make a difference??

5 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

We were discussing this last night. The general view was that this could easily constitute International Air terrorism which would carry a very hefty jail sentence, possibly 20 years or more.

What ever happens they are going to make an example of them in a very big way to deter others doing the same

So that will be a £1000 fine and 2year suspended sentence.. Goodo... 

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

According to the Sun they were cyclists , defiantly terrorists 😀

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the cyclist didn't turn out to be a rabid environmentalist.

Oh I think there might be a Green element, possibly the group that are anti aviation.