Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

33 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I always have difficulty with things like this. Why compare it to ebola? They are not the same, if coronavirus was as deadly as ebola then the Chinese would have bombed the outbreak area flat and then napalmed it and finally nuked it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mick miller said:

Whatever happens the horse has well and truly bolted on this. It'll be everywhere by now considering how long the Chinese authorities were aware of the outbreak before bringing in Draconian controls.

To be honest, there never was any real prospect of containing it

2 hours ago, henry d said:

I always have difficulty with things like this. Why compare it to ebola? They are not the same, if coronavirus was as deadly as ebola then the Chinese would have bombed the outbreak area flat and then napalmed it and finally nuked it.

Now who needs the tin foil hat? 

2 hours ago, henry d said:

I think it's useful, the point with this disease is it's very different to anything else we have seen, at least in modern times, we are in uncharted territory and the only comparisons we have, is with other infectious diseases, ebola being one of many, although certainly not one that is the closest to it?

Tin foil? I've already got a stack of face masks and washing up gloves.  :lol:

Also about a months worth of veg bought at night in almost empty supermarkets, and tinned food to keep trips out to crowded places to a minimum in case it truly bites hard and fast. The food will be used anyway so I'm just storing it at home instead of letting a supermarket do it for me.

Edited by Dave-G

19 hours ago, Dave-G said:

so I'm just storing it at home instead of letting a supermarket do it for me.

Just to point out that the stores do NOT store it, there are no warehouses out the back of Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi etc etc, go take a look.

The tin you bought yesterday was probably delivered over the weekend and will be replaced from the Just-in-Time supply chain over the next.

Should the number of HGV drivers be severely (maybe even just moderately, say 10-15%) impacted, you are likely only to see certain "essentials" delivered to stores and not the plethora of choice you see today.

Added to this will be the number of people "stocking up", which will exacerbate any issues.  Not that I don't think it a good idea, I do, and have, but there is probably little time left now to do this in relative calm.

Amongst the litany of special measures brought in (or perhaps just mentioned about possibly being brought in), was anything about "Hoarding" said?  I seem to recall this being an offence at some point in our history.  Best not use the Credit/Debit cards, cash only, you don't want Tesco telling HM Gov. that you bough 30 tins of Beans and Pork Sausage just last week, so no Clubcard either.

RS

2 hours ago, RockySpears said:

Just to point out that the stores do NOT store it, there are no warehouses out the back of Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi etc etc, go take a look.

The tin you bought yesterday was probably delivered over the weekend and will be replaced from the Just-in-Time supply chain over the next.

Should the number of HGV drivers be severely (maybe even just moderately, say 10-15%) impacted, you are likely only to see certain "essentials" delivered to stores and not the plethora of choice you see today....

RS

You are quite right of course - I was being way too simple - its probably the farmer who stored the spuds carrots and swedes.  And Heinz all the beans etc. 

I can't imagine the gas and electric going off so we're OK for chips, stews, mash, beans and soup etc over a few weeks while currently still buying some as normal to put behind the others we take from the front.

And not forgetting the Ambrosia rice and custard etc. :)

Is it just me?

Has this been hyped out of sight?   Every year Flu kills people, more often the elderly or those who have compromised immune systems - does it make headline news?  No.

So now we have another virus - yes it's contagious like the others and it might kill you.  So what's new or different?

11 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Is it just me?

Has this been hyped out of sight?   Every year Flu kills people, more often the elderly or those who have compromised immune systems - does it make headline news?  No.

So now we have another virus - yes it's contagious like the others and it might kill you.  So what's new or different?

It's not just you.  All this talk of panic buying is a nonsense as well.  I went to my local supermarket yesterday.  I couldn't see any shelves empty and they still had both pasta and rice (things that are supposed to be in short supply) on offers with discounts to buy two!  Baked beans were also on offer and in plentiful supply.  No shortages here then, although I didn't go into the medicines aisle.  Everyone I saw was just doing normal shopping - no trolleys piled high with tinned goods, just normal mix of fresh goods, perishables and a few tins, packets etc.

This was quite interesting https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8076395/Leading-doctor-claims-coronavirus-isnt-deadly-feared-death-rate-1.html

Edited by JohnfromUK

38 minutes ago, mick miller said:

I always keep at least three months essential supplies in store at any time, cycling through the stores and replenishing as necessary.

A very sensible thing to do, telling people about it isn't though.

First week into a shortage and everyone will be knocking on your door, second week they will be breaking it down.

1 minute ago, VicW said:

Buy a bottle of cheap vodka or gin, wipe your hands with some of the contents and drink the rest, at least you will die happy !

Vic.

I've got a couple cheapy bottles that came from Germany through work, I can safely say drinking the contents will do you far more harm than the Coronavirus.

7 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It's not just you.  All this talk of panic buying is a nonsense as well.  I went to my local supermarket yesterday.  I couldn't see any shelves empty and they still had both pasta and rice (things that are supposed to be in short supply) on offers with discounts to buy two!  Baked beans were also on offer and in plentiful supply.  No shortages here then, although I didn't go into the medicines aisle.  Everyone I saw was just doing normal shopping - no trolleys piled high with tinned goods, just normal mix of fresh goods, perishables and a few tins, packets etc.

This was quite interesting https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8076395/Leading-doctor-claims-coronavirus-isnt-deadly-feared-death-rate-1.html

Flew in last night and needed a few items, local ASDA had very bare shelves for cleaning products, toilet rolls and pasta among others.

Guess Norfolk people are prepping a little more ?

Another little stat.

China has a population of 1.378billion people and yet so far in three/four months, less than .00005% of the population have been acknowledged to have been affected (80,000) ( excuse me if I have included one too many zeros as had to do it ‘old school’ , long Hand on paper) 

Edited by Jaymo

A couple next door went skiing to Italy with their three boys a couple of weeks ago. They usually bring us something back for feeding their cat and caring for their chickens and ducks while they’re away. We knew they were back last week but hadn't heard from them... they always call round with a small present despite us telling them not to. 
Anyhow, a parcel was left on our step this afternoon, from them. A note was attached saying they hadn’t been round as the husband had been taken to hospital on their return as he wasn’t well. 
All is well however, she explained it was ‘only pneumonia’!