What's your claim to fame

oowee

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatting to Richard Dreyfus in a lift whilst working at C4, likewise Hugh Ferney-Whittingstall and Chris Evans, but in the canteen.

A chat with Steven Van Zandt (Silvio Dante - Sopranos) and Neil Oliver (Coast/GB News). Not together, obs.

Having a chapter in a book about big fish catches written in memory of a good man, who died of cancer.

When I worked with NATO (1900 and half past 4) one of my RAF colleagues was dating a RAF Steward. She worked at Chequers, so we spent a very pleasant afternoon being entertained there.

I also used to go to the house of Patrick Fife of the Hinge and Bracket duo fairly often with my work, very nice chap. House now belongs to Noel Edmunds.

FB

Once talked to Hannah Hauxwell at Appleby Fair, and the D of E at Lowther horse driving trials. Met David Warner, Denis Law. 
Know Jane Wright, retired Royal Ballet former lead.

Have met David McClean and Rory Stewart. Went to school with Clare Hirst, former sax’ player with the short lived Belle Stars. 
Once made the mistake of scoring what would have been Ippon when being coached by and sparring with former World Championship runner up Eugene Codrington, which he made me pay for! 😂 Was also tutored by Ticky Donovan back in the day. Those who know will know. 

My OH however, well, where do I start?  Anyone remember Madge, Dame Edna’s long suffering sidekick? OH and one of her sisters lived in the flat above her in London, and Madge ( Emily Perry ) knew everyone! Madge took them everywhere and introduced her to people such as Maggie Smith, Judy Dench, and on one ocassion David Bowie. 
She also worked in Liberty in London after leaving art college, and said there were famous faces in there on an almost daily basis, many of whom she served. 

57 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I've a few boring ones but a peculiar impromptu one is:

A random bloke asked if he could share my table in return for buying me a drink whilst in Amsterdam airport, we both got slaughtered and both missed our flights; it was Bob Geldoff but it was a funny few hours

Brilliant! 👍

I took the family to a medieval day at Chilham Castle in the 1980s, and whilst I was having a pee, found that the bloke in the next urinal was Charlie Drake.

I refrained from saying "Hello my darlin", or for asking for his autograph.

My father, an horologist and inveterate name dropper, never failed to mention that he had made wheels for Her Majesty's clocks, had repaired clocks for John Osborne, Lady Betjeman and April Ashley and sold a lathe to Michael Gambon, who had trained as a gunsmith before he became an actor. At least I know that the last is true, because I opened the door to him when he came to collect it.

Edited by amateur
update

50 minutes ago, Scully said:

with the short lived Belle Stars.

it was a "sign of the times" :whistling:

I have been in the background of the TGS 2019 Shooting Show video - at the very start - you can spot the Vape Clouds :)

I was also the cameraman for Reg Grundies Private Pilot and Chef getting married in St Lucia in 1994. I met David Cameron when he became the MP and went home and said I have met the man who can beat Blair (turned out it was Brown but hey ho)

At the coffee shop in the building my company is in we see all the Liverpool players and alumni (including Sir Kenny)  as they (LFC) have 3 floors in there

My wife had stuff to do with the Mitfords when we were in the Cotswolds, along with a Tate & Lyle heiress - also spent a number of days with the witch Cherie Blair when she represented one of her clients in court. 

1 hour ago, amateur said:

I took the family to a medieval day at Chilham Castle in the 1980s, and whilst I was having a pee, found that the bloke in the next urinal was Charlie Drake.

My father, an horologist and inveterate name dropper, never failed to mention that he had made wheels for Her Majesty's clocks, had repaired clocks for John Osborne, Lady Betjeman and April Ashley and sold a lathe to Michael Gambon, who had trained as a gunsmith before he became an actor. At least I know that the last is true, because I opened the door to him when he came to collect it.

Great stuff! Mr Gambon is an avid collector of lathes ! 

1 hour ago, amateur said:

took the family to a medieval day at Chilham Castle in the 1980s, and whilst I was having a pee, found that the bloke in the next urinal was Charlie Drake.

No idea who that is, but I presume you didn’t have any snow on you if you wanted his autograph! 😂

Anyway, claim to fame? How terribly gauche (darling), never kiss and tell. Except under oath.

I met a few celebs over the years. Met Henry Cooper as a boy and fist clenched Nigel Benn whilst we talked in a nightclub and talked about the McClelland fight.

I challenged Brian O'Driscoll(Bod) to an arm wrestle but he never gave me my glory so that doesn't really count😃

I think my real claim is getting a ''Smacker on the lips'' off Whigfield! It wasn't a  Saturday night,but the air was getting hot🔥 and I also had a wee smooch with one of the backing singers! I have witnesses.  I was a handsome boy back in the day lol They wouldn't look twice at me now👴

55 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

No idea who that is, but I presume you didn’t have any snow on you if you wanted his autograph! 😂

Anyway, claim to fame? How terribly gauche (darling), never kiss and tell. Except under oath.

Had you grown up in the 50s and 60s, you would have known of Charlie Drake and his catchphrase

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Drake&ved=2ahUKEwjxgYi2zoD6AhUqQkEAHch8BSwQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2bp8bqX0GjHlLuxt2L2ZH2

Not too many;

1) I stood at a urinal next to Murray Walker during a motor sports show at NEC. Neither of us spoke cos men seldom talk to others while pee'ing.

2) Chris Rea asked to borrow my cigarette lighter at Donnington while watching touring car racing. Must admit i didn't recognise him and afterwards a friend stood there open mouthed and said "you didnt know who that was?".

3) Almost ran over Lisa Tarbuck on Holloway Road when the dozy mare walked out infront of me.

4) Shared a lift with Mark Morrison (Return of the mac) while working on the roof of an apartment block in Kensington. Yes, he's an arrogant jerk in real life i must add.

5) Met attractive model Vanessa Upton at another motor sports show at Earls Court. She's one of the girls in Blurs Country house video wearing a yellow top if your curious. She was handing out packs of Marlborough cigarettes!

Had lunch with June Whitfield and Pam St Clement. June was a bit tipsy and lost her handbag - she was sat on it! 

Caused Esther Ransen to get stuck on a doorframe as she tried to squeeze through. 

Spoke with Rolf Harris about his outrageous choice of suit at a dinner - probably not a claim to fame considering what came out a few years later. 

Caught  fishing  on private water without without a permit by Prime Minister Alec Douglas Home, told me to carry on but visit the Estate office for a permit.   He was a true Gent.   Ghillied for Andrew Scott one time High Sheriff of London or some such title, good laugh and another true Gent.

Blackpowder.

Had a pretty sheltered life really, been close and personal with a Conservative politicians daughter in the early 80's, been on the oche with Bobby George, Keith Dellor, Crafty Cockney, met John Lowe, had a pint with Prince Charles (well in the same pub, Rose and Crown Boylestone on a hunt day) met Tom Coin back in the black and white days. 

Living up North we dont get to see many celebs. 😄