Road kills.

samboy

Hi gang.

Drove 28 miles to my clay shoot this morning and counted at least 20 foxes dead at the side of the road

and at least 20 on the way back. All small ones. I hate to see road kills.

6 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Drove 28 miles to my clay shoot this morning and counted at least 20 foxes dead at the side of the road

i'm the same to be fair.

i'd rather,if they're a problem to see them dead in a field.

maybe the council has been catching them in the city...castrating them with the vet and then realeasing them into the country.............my mate has seen this happen at 2 oclock in the morning a big lorry turned up on his shoot and dropped off a shed load of foxes.....he shot 30 that night they had the fur missing around their muzzles where they had been licking out tins and cut marks and stiches around where their knackers were.....they were covered in mange

city waisters havnt a clue the damage this does to the wildlife in the country

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

maybe the council has been catching them in the city...castrating them with the vet and then realeasing them into the country.............my mate has seen this happen at 2 oclock in the morning a big lorry turned up on his shoot and dropped off a shed load of foxes.....he shot 30 that night they had the fur missing around their muzzles where they had been licking out tins and cut marks and stiches around where their knackers were.....they were covered in mange

city waisters havnt a clue the damage this does to the wildlife in the country

I should imagine very cruel to, a city fox used to living on scraps isn't going to have a clue how to hunt for food.

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

If you took the same route there and back you saw the same 20 twice 😉

Edited by ShootingEgg

53 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

If you took the same route there and back you saw the same 20 twice 😉

He's not sure how many there were, but he counted them on the way, and on the way out 🤓

See loads down here in the SE. Once saw one burst right open, in the middle of the road outside a girls school 😲 It was cleared very quickly 🙃

19 hours ago, JKD said:

He's not sure how many there were, but he counted them on the way, and on the way out 🤓

See loads down here in the SE. Once saw one burst right open, in the middle of the road outside a girls school 😲 It was cleared very quickly 🙃

What were you doing hanging around a girls school?    :w00t:

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What were you doing hanging around a girls school?    

OI !!! 😠 I was driving past in my way to a tool hire place at 0715, way before the gates were even open,,,, Honest guv ! 😆 Splattered fox was all over the central white lines, right where all the parents drop off their sprogs 😆🤣 TBH it wasn't a pretty sight 😳

Edited by JKD

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

There has been an increase in both dead deer and dead badgers around this part of the Lincs/Cambs border recently.

Tomorrow I've got to pick up 5 deer, 6 badgers and a fox that have been kill on the roads around here, I picked up 2 deer and 3 badgers on Saturday.

49 minutes ago, amateur said:

The only badgers that I have ever seen were roadkill

I am exactly the same , I saw a dead Otter on the roads years ago and it was only a few years ago I saw my first live one in the flesh , now they are still not a every day event but I do see them every so often .

With Badgers it different , I have seen a few dead corpse's on the roads , in fact there is a big one on the estates road right now , unless it have been cleared up over the last few days , they have no doubt came off the estate and after working and helping out on the shoots for well over 40 years I have still never seen a live one in the flesh .   MM

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

What were you doing hanging around a girls school?    

It could have been much worse, it could have been a boy’s school!

2 hours ago, amateur said:

The only badgers that I have ever seen were roadkill

You really need to get out in the countryside mere!

The first time I saw a badger was when we were travelling from Dormy House Sunningdale, to the local pub. I was surprised how powerful it looked as it trundled across the road. 

A few years later, travelled down across Salisbury Plain with a mate to pick up a Clumber spaniel pup. After crossing the Plain, we saw just under 30 badgers, dead at the side of the road in about ten miles. It seemed a disproportionate number for the distance. 

On 06/02/2024 at 15:35, Gordon R said:

The first time I saw a badger was when we were travelling from Dormy House Sunningdale, to the local pub. I was surprised how powerful it looked as it trundled across the road. 

A few years later, travelled down across Salisbury Plain with a mate to pick up a Clumber spaniel pup. After crossing the Plain, we saw just under 30 badgers, dead at the side of the road in about ten miles. It seemed a disproportionate number for the distance. 

I used to have one nearly trip me up on a regular basis as I exited a shooting location at approximately the same time, on a weekly basis.

It was seemingly on a mission that crossed my path out?

A bit unnerving in the dusk the first few times.

Edited by old man