Wet Weather Harvest Worries .

marsh man

Not yet a major crisis but there must be plenty of farmers and land owners who are looking at the weather forecast every time it come on for some improvement in one of the wettest July's we have had for ages , the weather man said tonight it could well be the wettest July on record .

Tomorrow should start off alright but heavy rain is moving in from the west so those on the west coast will get the rain in the morning and us on the east coast will get the rain about tea time and by all accounts a fair bit of the wet stuff .

Some farmers near us haven't made a start yet and others have got some winter barley in the grain store , no sign of any rape or wheat cut but at the moment it is still a bit early and the way things are going it could end up a very late one .

What is it like on the farming side in your neck of the woods ?       

Edited by marsh man

Can’t say I know of any farmers unduly concerned about the weather up here; plenty of winter barley still uncut, spring barley making headway. Plenty of silage in, some ongoing, and those just doing one cut have yet to do it. 
Plenty of grass and barley laid due to heavy rains and strong winds, and we’ve been out twice on the winter barley so far. 
No stubbles to be seen anywhere yet. 

Quite a few field of winter barley had been cut when I drove past Kelso (Friday) and Coldstream (Saturday).   Some straw already baled and carted.   Not seen any OSR harvested yet, but a lot of it looks nearly ready (still standing yesterday, but might not be after the downpour we had this afternoon).

Spoke to the farmer on my perm (NE Derbyshire), they're not cutting as the ground is waterlogged and the crop too wet, the forecast bad. But they are however get hammered by Crows but just a few Pigeons.

Closer to my home, literally a 2 minute drive, the farmer (not my permission) has started to cut, done a half acre field and given up due to deep mud. The guy who has the permission to shoot is reporting 100s of pigeon on the partial cut crop and has been shooting it every day. I can hear the shooting from my house but think he'll be stopped soon due to noise complaints and his shot falling onto the road and surrounding paths.

Overall it seem the farmers are more frustrated at the moment rather than concerned , today here is clear Blue sky's but rain due later on this afternoon , this time last year we had done 15 days of non stop cutting and the drier wasn't switched on once , up to date we had done about four and a half days combining , so no where near panic stations but if this changeable weather carry on the concerne will be the quality of the crop when it do come off , only time will tell .

Just been out with the dog and two farmer's are cutting winter barley, one is going so slow as most of it is flat and making the combine bark and the other is in the worst field of barley I've ever seen it's full of wild oats, brome and black grass. 

Was in the cotswolds for a few days last week with some areas harvesting and taking advantage of the drier days, back home now and rain rain and more rain, lots of flattened crops around me and after a morning and afternoon’s combining on fields behind me the farmer is yet again rained off… not looking good for them as forecast for all night