What do you think?

Scully

I should have started this instead of asking it in another thread. Sorry mods. You can delete or whatever as you see fit. 
There have been many folks asking, is it about time we ended the monarchy, but when I have asked them to give a reason, the vast majority have cited the ridiculously insane amounts of wealth and privilege they have bestowed upon them. Fair enough. 
I can see both sides of the argument really, but without getting into the religious aspect of it all ( more of that later ) can anyone give me a valid reason, other than wealth envy, why they think it should be abolished? 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever society you live in there will be some who amass wealth by one means or another. Consequently I cannot see how that can be used as a logical reason for abolition. I cannot think of any wealthy family who does more to promote U.K. society than the Royal Family as a whole. I am sure others will disagree but that’s my two pence worth.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I should have started this instead of asking it in another thread. Sorry mods. You can delete or whatever as you see fit. 
There have been many folks asking, is it about time we ended the monarchy, but when I have asked them to give a reason, the vast majority have cited the ridiculously insane amounts of wealth and privilege they have bestowed upon them. Fair enough. 
I can see both sides of the argument really, but without getting into the religious aspect of it all ( more of that later ) can anyone give me a valid reason, other than wealth envy, why they think it should be abolished? 

In Great Britain probably not and FWIW it's a better solution than the alternative which is either President Blair or President Johnson or, as in some nations, an old "has been" or so called "national treasure" and I, for one, do not want a President David Attenborough. Or would resurrect the title of "Lord Protector" with all that that carries as baggage?

The "tourism" argument is specious. The Chateau of Versailles gets nearly ten million visitors a year and France last had a reigning monarch in 1848.

Having said that the above maybe the following sentence has an air of truth to it. Particularly so in places such as the Caribbean. Or Australia, New Zealand and those other nations where ultimately the last signature on any Act was and still is that of a King or Queen sat in London and done in their name. But can anyone guess when it was said?

“We will not blame him for the crimes of his ancestors if he relinquishes the royal rights of his ancestors; but as long as he claims their rights, by virtue of descent, then, by virtue of descent, he must shoulder the responsibility for their crimes.”

Edited by enfieldspares

14 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Whatever society you live in there will be some who amass wealth by one means or another. Consequently I cannot see how that can be used as a logical reason for abolition. I cannot think of any wealthy family who does more to promote U.K. society than the Royal Family as a whole. I am sure others will disagree but that’s my two pence worth.

This is how I see it really.
There will always be those who inherit both wealth and privilege ( although I suppose the tax payer isn’t subsidising them ) but I asked someone online ( who was in favour of abolishment due to the wealth ) if abolishing the monarchy would improve my life, or the life of anyone else, either financially or spiritually, and they couldn’t answer. 

I get the ludicrous element of a helicopter owned by the crown, and again funded by the tax payer, with two people on board, no more special than anyone else, but deigned to be so by nothing more than tradition and the birthright to go with it, landing on a lawn not accessible to anyone else, and whisked away in a private limousine, but what would be gained by its abolishment? 

The wealth is stolen from the citizens and should be taken back. No one has the right to be above anyone else. The privilege of royalty pervades our institutions at the highest level. A grace and favour society that protects its own. Thousands of acres of land, thousands of properties, rights and entitlements to positions of influence that are immeasurable. 

It belongs to us and should be taken back. 

26 minutes ago, oowee said:

The wealth is stolen from the citizens and should be taken back. No one has the right to be above anyone else. The privilege of royalty pervades our institutions at the highest level. A grace and favour society that protects its own. Thousands of acres of land, thousands of properties, rights and entitlements to positions of influence that are immeasurable. 

This, the Queen is the end of the line.  Charles taking millions in cash in carrier bags from Bin Laden's family and getting hundreds of millions of inheritance tax waived whilst a bankrupt Britain pays god knows how much for the huge pomp and security costs of the last week and a bit.  Oowee is correct the Royal wealth was stolen and we are being taken for mugs.  Charles will also break the great taboo of not being Political.

Edited by Weihrauch17

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Absolutely correct, of course there will always be wealth.  
Although the tax payers propping up the royal family isn’t the case for many other wealthy individuals, which is fine to an extent but I don’t agree with the level to which this is done to provide their lavish lifestyle.
Personally this doesn’t offend me enough to worry about them being abolished, I don’t think for one minute it will ever happen for a start and any alternative wouldn’t be any cheaper I’m sure. 

They mostly (the Royals )all work harder than I ever want to and do stuff I would hate to have to do .Just look at the Majority of the Uk s reaction to the Queens death for your answer and King Charles reception everywhere he has been this week .Good luck to them all ,accepting the frailties of human nature and black sheep but you get those in all walks of life.

47 minutes ago, oowee said:

I don't really agree with that but do think if you want to do something about people stealing from the citizens you should first tackle those that are stealing right now rather than however many centuries ago.

The oil industry, big companies paying no tax while raking in massive profits, the people in government wasting billions of taxpayers money, etc etc.

Deal with all those things first and then worry about the royal family who in my opinion do much more good than harm.

My take it’s a bit like the police . Everyone complains about them no one wants to be one . But in reality we need them because they are there and most of the time it works.

Yes it costs us money but I wIll put a tenner on its a fraction of what is wasted elsewhere.

in answer to the op because on oath a lot of forces, police, politicians, judges and others swear allegiance to them.

Agriv8 

Overall, I would keep the Royal family (I'm still a subject), albeit slimmed down even further. Privileges for the monarch and their children only. If they behave badly as in the case of Charles, Andrew and Harry, instant removal from the line of succession and privileges. If we are to persist with this anachronistic system, the individual needs to be beyond reproach.

Can anyone remember the’ Monty Phython holy grail film where the peasant tells the king that she didn’t vote for him when the King is explaining that he has been given a Devine to rule by the lady of the lake because he pulled a sword from the stone. Hope someone can post a link to this 😄

Edited by yates

30 minutes ago, yates said:

Can anyone remember the’ Monty Phython holy grail film where the peasant tells the king that she didn’t vote for him when the King is explaining that he has been given a Devine to rule by the lady of the lake because he pulled a sword from the stone. Hope someone can post a link to this 😄

I wonder how much inheritance tax will be demanded by HMRC? The richest are exempt I expect , tax only applies to the less wealthy.Ordinary people like us who manage to own a house and some savings get 40% of anything over £340,000 taken from our estates I believe.

Edited by TOPGUN749

59 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Help help I am being repest - bloody peasant- commedy gold !

Agriv8

the monarchy are part of the British identity! 

5 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I wonder how much inheritance tax will be demanded by HMRC? Ordinary people like us who manage to own a house and some savings get 40% of anything over £340,000 taken from our estates I believe.

None - the monarchy do not pay inheritance tax !

10 hours ago, 39TDS said:

I don't really agree with that but do think if you want to do something about people stealing from the citizens you should first tackle those that are stealing right now rather than however many centuries ago.

The oil industry, big companies paying no tax while raking in massive profits, the people in government wasting billions of taxpayers money, etc etc.

Deal with all those things first and then worry about the royal family who in my opinion do much more good than harm.

Yep, a bit of both really. Very strange how we seem to allow/applaud entities to plunder and impoverish our population?

10 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Overall, I would keep the Royal family (I'm still a subject), albeit slimmed down even further. Privileges for the monarch and their children only. If they behave badly as in the case of Charles, Andrew and Harry, instant removal from the line of succession and privileges. If we are to persist with this anachronistic system, the individual needs to be beyond reproach.

Yep, an heir and a spare and common sense.