.22 travel distance ?.

Hi gang.

A pal has asked me how far a .22 subsonic bullet will travel. I have googled it but it seems there are varied answers.

So can anyone shed some light on this ?.

Thanks all.

From my limited knowledge of rifles (so please feel free to ignore) I believe you will find way to many variables to get a definitive answer to the question. Even one degree of elevation will give a difference in distance travelled, Although if a definitive answer does exist I’d be interested to know the answer myself. 

Many moons ago I was standing in as Coroners Officer whilst he had surgery and had to go to a meeting where I met the Officer from the other side of the city. He had just dealt with a case, where a young lady sitting in a park was hit in the neck and killed with a 22 bullet fired a considerable distance. This was Barr Beacon and the bullet had been fired up at a crow in a tree and travelled over the Beacon before hitting the lady. .....the distance is irrelevant  as  magman hit the nail on the head.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the graph dosnt look right....at the firing point it appears that the shot is taken from an inclined barrel...........??..........what do you rekon >

Your right it's shooting upto a 40 yard zero (or so). 

I had some fun in Africa skimming hmr rounds off a lake. Amazing how far they skip. 

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Many moons ago I was standing in as Coroners Officer whilst he had surgery and had to go to a meeting where I met the Officer from the other side of the city. He had just dealt with a case, where a young lady sitting in a park was hit in the neck and killed with a 22 bullet fired a considerable distance. This was Barr Beacon and the bullet had been fired up at a crow in a tree and travelled over the Beacon before hitting the lady. .....the distance is irrelevant  as  magman hit the nail on the head.

Although we live in different times with a much bigger population I can remember an old keeper who used to shoot hundreds of branchers every year with a .22 rimfire, something that would be frowned on now, during the early part of the 1900s Rook rifles were in common use and thousand were produced in cal from .22 up to .400 @ 1500 ft/s (rook, rabbit rifle) shudder to think how far that would travel and the damage it would do if it hit someone.

56 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the graph dosnt look right....at the firing point it appears that the shot is taken from an inclined barrel...........??..........what do you rekon >

Think there might be some info missing there as it looks as if the rifle zero is 20 yards and 50 yards and then falls away from that point, effectively hitting the ground at 160 yards from mid zero, I think.

Edited by old'un

Chairgun has a 40 grn .22 lr sub sonic 1050 fps with a bc of 0.138 

Travelling 1713 yards  shot at 30 degrees 

Landing with 6.5 fpe of energy  for a flight time of 18 seconds. 

And reaching an altitude of 1364ft  before coming back down 

Obviously  this is theoretical. And presumes ideal conditions .

Real world factors will influence all these results but its a great starting point .as the range could be further or shorter  .

1713 yard is 0.97 of a mile .

So if you said yeah they will travel a mile you would be about right .

It's interesting  as I've tested the range of different size shotgun pellets .and have found that they tend to have a max range and it's hard to get them to go much beyond  that range without a serious following wind directly behind them .

200 yds for  no7.5 

225 no6 

250 no5 

The calibre  and stated speed (out side of subs ) doesn't seem to matter .

Where I used to shoot branchers I had a bloke tell me the airrifle was useless. He insisted they use a hmr and as 22lr then sit back 100 yards from the woods . 

The guys an idiot . I refuse to shoot anything but ground game with any rifle . 

ive always understood 1-2 mile for rimfire and up to 5 for a c/f. Scary stuff really when you think about it. 
I’d love to know how far a recochet will go . 

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

ive always understood 1-2 mile for rimfire and up to 5 for a c/f. Scary stuff really when you think about it. 

I would be most surprised if a subsonic .22lr made it 1 mile , never mind 2.

The centrefire going 5 is a bit of a stretch too, 3 is more probable depending on calibre.
50 BMG has an effective range of about 2000 metres (not accurate) and a max range of about 6800 metres (about 4 miles) fired straight up , about 2000 metres before it runs out of steam.
Its interesting to see how they conduct distance records for rounds like the Cheytac , they shoot from the tops of mountains to be able to keep sight on to the target as the drop is so extreme.