Your most desirable shotgun would be?

mgsontour

Just thinking what would be your most desirable shotgun be ( this question being different from what you would pick if someone offered it to you for free ) ?

I'm just a run of the mill Browning kind of guy as I don't go on many formal days so no need for me to example buy a Heritage at over twice the price but if I did do more then it would be something I would go for while staying on a realistic budget.

So I know there are some people who really love their guns on here and thought it would be an interesting thread to start as we had a chat at elevens' yesterday

Happy New Year to you all and safe shooting days to all on PW

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the most desirable shotgun i never had but had the oppotunity to buy..was a sxs 410 with a .22 barrel underneath ..it was a british made hammer gun about 1930...it was dirty had pristine barrels ...and loverly little hammers....and nice walnut stock under the dirt.....it was for sale at Richardsons for £300 quid about 10 years ago...

@mgsontour

It doesn’t really matter what gun you use for whatever type of day you are shooting. I have shot many a good quality driven day using a scruffy, old, really cheap Spanish box lock from the 1970’s. No one needs to see the gun you are using. Lots of people can’t afford anything better. And lots of people have no appreciation of fine handling or quality workmanship.

1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

It would be the John Dickson if Edinburgh round action with damascus barrels which I already own.  Unsurpassed for elegance, balance and good handling.

Blackpowder

I am with you and have a round action but re barrelled by Mackay Brown in the 80’s so modern proof, good wall thicknesses and suitable for standard steel eventually. 

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Holland & Holland Royal with the 1922 Self Opening Patent device fitted. I've shot a Purdey, owned a Boss but of them all (two of my French guns have a version of it) as does my Somerton Holland's 1922 self opening system is the simplest and the best.

Shortly after I came back home to Devon I bought one of their SLEs. Can't remember its name but I called it 'The Various' - various different action components had various different Serial Numbers.

18 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

It would be the John Dickson if Edinburgh round action with damascus barrels which I already own.  Unsurpassed for elegance, balance and good handling.

Blackpowder

Arguably I'd take Blackpowder's gun 😆.

I've been fortunate enough to shoot one and they are the definition of elegance and it handled like a grouse gun. Please post pictures @Blackpowder !

I will settle for my rizzini side by side.... for now.

3 minutes ago, The_Engineer said:

Arguably I'd take Blackpowder's gun 😆.

I've been fortunate enough to shoot one and they are the definition of elegance and it handled like a grouse gun. Please post pictures @Blackpowder !

I will settle for my rizzini side by side.... for now.

Sorry Mr E but my patience does not extend to putting photos  up here,  pm your e mail if you like as I can drop and drag or is it drag and drop?

Blackpowder

I have now spent near on 50 years populating my cabinet with what I consider desirable.

I can't pick any one out as most desirable as they were all bought at different stages in my life with different objectives in mind.  Like most of us, my tastes in guns and ideas of what is 'desirable' and also my ability to carry a certain weight around all day have changed over 50 years and for example one gun bought 35+ years ago as my 'ultimate' I still have, but now find too heavy and cumbersome for most uses.

As my 'go to' gun for virtually any use, it would have to be my AyA No 1, which has more cartridges through it annually than any other - which may make it the most desirable to use.

Runner up (again based on number of cartridges fired) would be a Merkel 303E - an o/u, but with sidelock, double triggers and straight hand stock.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I couldn’t possibly choose just one, and have most of the ones I would choose anyhow. 
The one I don’t have ( and stupidly sold some years ago ) and would dearly love back, is my old Winchester Model 12 take-down, complete in its original wood, leather and red baize motor case. I must have been insane! 😭