How do all you drivers cope with glare or dazzle by others headlights?

Pushkin

I find as I get older, I cannot cope with the lights of oncoming cars, be they main beam or dipped.  I find this a bit worrying as I do not want to end up in an accidental crash or be the victim of one?  How do others cope with this issue?  I am going to see my Optician and will mention this to him/her to see if there is a simple thing like the yellow lenses that others have said works for them.

Pushkin:good: 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent a fortune at my opticians with "special" coatings to stop this glare, did no good, changed opticians to be told the problem was cataracts. Had both eyes done and now no problem except of course glare from the stupid superbrights which affect everyone.

We have a local road a mile or so long and straight, cycle track runs alongside this road. I find some approaching bike lights worse than any car!

Edited by DUNKS

42 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

You can get a pair of yellow glasses like sunglasses the really help , What gets me is the amount of folk that drive on full beam and wait till they light up your car before putting them on dipped beam 

I bought some night driving glasses, they are yellow but don't fit that well so I tend not to wear them, but I did find they helped. 

But I brought some yellow safety glasses home that I wear all day in work yesterday 😁

I find part of the problem with new cars is the auto lights, if I put mine on they sometimes take a second or two longer to flick the main beam off, and then some people are muppets. 

I reckon a few causes to today's night driving issues, and my take for the op at the bottom 

Modern cars are higher, think all these fake 4x4 like a ****qui and all those. 

Modern cars have superbright LED lights which are great as a driver, not so if your on the recieving end

Out council has decided to stop (and even take up) cats eyes. So it's kind of guess work where your going if theres a bit of water on the road, and you can't see because of the 2 above. When ever you felt blinded you could just aim for in-between the verge and the cats eyes. Well that brings me too...

And also I have a theory that overgrown verges suck up light, instead of reflecting it because they don't get cut, also pushing cars further into the middle, which you have to guess where it is, because of the above

And mainly age. I'm not old, well I don't feel old being early 40s but my eyes are now. I've recently gone to the opticians to have my first set of glasses and I got their anti glare coating which I assumed was a con, but it's worked for me. They are fresh so we'll see how resilient they are after a year or two. Also before when I drove round west Wales delivering cars to customers, I used to wear yellow shades at night and they helped as well. 

I used to love driving at night, even used to prefer riding at night, not so much now, in fact I hate short journeys around here past sunset 

I got older. :sad1:

Went through the slowing down bit, the looking at the nearside kerb bit and the clip on polaroid anti dazzle glases which did work, but in the end I realised my eyes weren't adjusting quickly any more. Don't drive at night now except in built up areas and the short dash to the farm. The only inconvenience is that a couple of choice restaurants out in the sticks are reserved now for summer evenings.

EDIT: Just seen Strimmer's last bullet point - except for the riding, absolutely spot on.

Edited by wymberley

2 hours ago, Pushkin said:

I find as I get older, I cannot cope with the lights of oncoming cars, be they main beam or dipped.  I find this a bit worrying as I do not want to end up in an accidental crash or be the victim of one?  How do others cope with this issue?  I am going to see my Optician and will mention this to him/her to see if there is a simple thing like the yellow lenses that others have said works for them.

Me too. I had some new glasses a month ago and they have anti-glare coatings. Also making sure your windscreen is clean helps. For cars behind my Mazda 2 came as standard with what they call a "dipping (rear view) mirror".

3 hours ago, Pushkin said:

Depends how old you are. I had cataracts when I was in my sixties caused by smoking, removed, it made a very big difference to my night vision and bright lights are not a really big problem now.

I was at the Opticians yesterday and I raised this very topic. Since having a detached retina,  which led to later surgery for cataract in my left eye, I suffer from bright sunlight, especially at this time of year. I was asked how I coped with driving at night. I admitted that I find some headlights worse than others, but I tend to watch the nearside kerb and try to avoid looking at oncoming headlights. My own vehicle is fitted with auto dipping headlights which I will not use. I think they do not react quickly enough to oncoming traffic, thus causing oncoming drivers to flash or even leave their lights on main beam. The yellow glasses don't work for me and the Optician did not seem to think they worked very well either. The only other thing I have done, which I find invaluable, is to fit a 'dash mat'. That stops a lot of daytime sunlight glare, but I think it helps stop a lot of nightime reflection too. It is certainly an age related thing in my case. I drove emergency vehicles day and night for some 30 years, then after retirement, I drove for the Locum service, which was always at night. IF, yellow glasses worked, I do think emergency service drivers would be issued with them.

I would add that I am paranoid about a clean windscreen.  I carry neat windscreen washer additive in the vehicle and use a non scratch pan scrub to clean both screen and wiper blades. In winter, I clean ALL of the car windows and lights, before every journey. Just a carry on from my previous employment. 

Edited by Westley

4 hours ago, Bigbob said:

What gets me is the amount of folk that drive on full beam and wait till they light up your car before putting them on dipped beam 

Cars with automatic dipping headlights do that. My stepdaughter has a car thats terrible in that respect. They don't dip till the last minute.

She was told to drive on full beam and let the car do the rest. I wince when you see the oncoming cars getting the full blast and they are powerful lights too